VR package file size for mobiles and tablets

Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
soni

VR package file size for mobiles and tablets

Post by soni » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:38 am

Hi,

I am have made VR package files that are of the size ranging from 25 MB to 200 MB. I can open both files in laptop but when i try to use mobile or tablet, only smaller file sizes open.

i dont want to delete portions of my model to reduce the viewer file size.

Is there a way to change any settings in Simlab Composer so that i can reduce the file sizes of VR packages and open them in mobile?

Also, any research done on recommended maximum file size for mobile and tablets?

SimLab

Re: VR package file size for mobiles and tablets

Post by SimLab » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:11 pm

Five factors affect being able to open VR pakcage on mobiles and tablets.

1- Number of objects (Optimize option in Composer should help)
2- Number of materials (Optimize option in Composer should help)
3- Number of polygons and vertexes
4- Texture size in the model
5- About of memory available in the tablet of phone.

If you share the vrpacakge we can check it for you.

soni

Post by soni » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:41 am

Hi,

for confidentiality reasons with our clients, we cannot send the files to anyone.

can you provide any tutorials on how to check and reduce factors that affect the VR package file as you have listed.

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:47 am

Hi.. If you go to your Tree, click on a Part on the stage, if you see that part is made up of many sub-parts, you need to combine on materials. This will reduce the file size greatly .. File format can make a huge difference to.. The big issue for you is if you have created a Simulation, any editing of the parts may effect the settings and you may have to do it again.. My advice is to save as a copy, play around with the copy and see if your editing works..

The idea is, to reduce the Points within the Polly Form to reduce the file size. Reducing the Points also reduces the Polly lines. Some models can have millions of Points and Lines, depending on how the model was made..

Tesselaar..

soni

Post by soni » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:31 am

Hi I did the merging of materials on a sample model.

the original VR file size was 25.7 MB. after the merge, the file reduced to 25.4 MB.

I tried combine vertices too...although i dont know what effect it will have.

i will try merging on larger models but looks like the size wont drop down drastically.

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:14 am

That's strange.. It works for us.. After combining on colour, and the file size is often dramatically reduced..

Perhaps Simlab has ideas...

Tesselaar..

soni

Post by soni » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:09 am

Hi

I will try for a bigger model.

However, I was trying to find tutorials or help files about methods to reduce file size which simlab listed. I am using Simlab Composer 10 v10.7.

And also what effect do commands such as "merge on material" , combine vertices" etc have on the geometry or VR presentation.

I havent found any decent material about the various commands on Composer and how and when to use them.

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:24 am

After we find a nice model on Grab CAD, often the models are made up of many many sub parts that could really be one full part for our purpose. Particularly when using the simulation/animation... So we select all the sup parts within that main group of parts, add a single colour, to say a motor housing, then Combine on Colour.. The motor can still have other parts attached it it, like a sprocket, or cogs, which are a seperate part that can be animated, but those too can be made up of many sub parts, so we add a single metal texture to them, then combine on materials. The overall file size is dramatically reduced. Without doing this, would make it almost impossible to use the simulation tool, since the file is far too big.. It becomes very sluggish.

I do not know of any tutorial on this.. It really comes down to users knowledge. We have used this process for many situations. Its works, in most cases!! There are times it does not, and often its the format of the 3D model.. Try using different formats. DXF are not so good.. But most 3D formats are OK..

Tesselaar..

soni

Post by soni » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:26 am

Hi,

I did perform the merge on material command on one of my assemblies. the assembly was created in inventor and imported into simlab using "transfer to simlab" command in inventor.

in the attached images titleD "ORIGINAL" you can see in the tree that its made of various subassemblies. the file simlab file and vrpackage file sizes are small.

in the attached images titled "MERGED", it can be seen that the model parts and subassemblies are now merged to just four bodies using "merge on material command". however the file sizes have increased a lot.

1. have i missed anything here? how come the file size has increased?
2. when i import the model, i have always seen a big camera (as shown in the images) hovering in the scene. what is that for? simlab software places it at random locations in various models.
Attachments
MERGED 1.PNG
MERGED 2.PNG
MERGED 2.PNG (2.47 KiB) Viewed 22 times
ORIGINAL 2.PNG
ORIGINAL 2.PNG (2.4 KiB) Viewed 22 times
ORIGINAL 1.PNG

soni

Post by soni » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:41 am

SimLab wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:11 pm
Five factors affect being able to open VR pakcage on mobiles and tablets.

1- Number of objects (Optimize option in Composer should help)
2- Number of materials (Optimize option in Composer should help)
3- Number of polygons and vertexes
4- Texture size in the model
5- About of memory available in the tablet of phone.

If you share the vrpacakge we can check it for you.
Hi Simlab,

I have two VR package files - one original and one reduced. i tried to upload them here for you to check but it does not upload. error i get is "invalid file extension".

can you let me know how to send the files to you for review