Baked Textures Stay Noisy

Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
sjaeger

Baked Textures Stay Noisy

Postby sjaeger » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:30 pm

Dear SimLab,

I'm using Composer 8.2.1 Pro with Rhino Integration. I want to use Composer to hand out 3D-PDF files with (almost) realistic lighting and material appearance. The real-time rendered results from Composer look fine. Noise clears up quickly, delivering a smooth image. I'd expect a similar quality level with baked textures but can't achieve smooth results.
Baking textures basically works but there's a problem with not clearing up from noise, regardless of baking settings. Wether I choose a low SPP of 100 or go up to 10000 doesn't change anything - the baked result stay unusable noisy on the same level. There's no difference wether I choose Light Baking or Texture Baking in this regard. Texture size is set to high sizes, like 2048.
What can I do about that? Are there some global settings that have to be changed to affect the noise level?

Best Regards, Stefan

SimLab

Re: Baked Textures Stay Noisy

Postby SimLab » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:28 pm

Can you share the model, we can look at it.

murratw

Postby murratw » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:31 pm

I have the same problem. After light baking the shadows are very blotchy and noisy.

Jakob Normand

Postby Jakob Normand » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:19 am

Hi All

I was playing with baking a little the other day (for the first time) and ran into the exact same problems - no matter the settings, the baked textures are noisy and stitching looks horrible. I'll make an example file with a non-NDA model for you to look at, when I have the time. There most be something that I'm doing wrong!

Regards, Jakob

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:07 am

Sure Jakob,

We will test the model as soon as you send it.

Ashraf

Jakob Normand

Postby Jakob Normand » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:06 pm

Jakob Normand wrote:Hi All
I was playing with baking a little the other day (for the first time) and ran into the exact same problems - no matter the settings, the baked textures are noisy and stitching looks horrible.

OK - so I did a little more testing, and discovered that at least part of it has to do with the scale of things. I tested on a small teapot brought in from Rhino in 1:1, so approx. 110mm across and 90mm tall. If I scale the object to be much larger (55 meters across and 45 meters tall), things start to look better. So maybe baking is "locked" to room/architectural scale? Meaning that the maps will automatically assume that the overall scale of things is rooms, furniture etc., instead of looking at the size of the actual objects of the scene. I'll test a little more and get back to you!

-Jakob

Jakob Normand

Postby Jakob Normand » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:21 pm

OK - more testing and I think I've come to the conclusion, that for small scale objects with curvature you need to enable the high quality geometry processing - if not, the texture will be noisy and stitching will be un-even. Also, setting the texture size to 4096 in both min and max helps. Samples should be 500+. Getting decent results now - cool :)

HTH, Jakob

giorossi

Postby giorossi » Mon May 28, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm doing my first models with SimLab and SolidWorks 2015 integration plugin.
Please find the attached result about the baking of the top of a trash box. I applied the aluminium standard of the library and merged the top with the bottom. Total dimension is about L 1 mt x W 0,36 m x H 0,75 m
This is the result :cry:

2018-05-28 18_24_14-SimLab Composer.jpg

Can you help me, please?
Giò

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:53 am

Can you please share the model, we can check it for you.

giorossi

Postby giorossi » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:06 am

Please find in the attached file the model of the trash box.

Trashbox.sim
(2.97 MiB) Downloaded 7 times

Return to “SimLab Composer”