WebGL - Lighting

Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
ntxdave

WebGL - Lighting

Postby ntxdave » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:57 pm

I need some guidance in how to achieve suitable lighting for WebGL pages. I have a model that I have been able to produce some good renders of but cannot achieve a good result when producing a WebGL page for the same model.

First, let me ask if there are any good tutorials on how to use the various types of lights? Yes, I have read the Composer documentation that explain the different lights but I am still in the dark on how & when they work best. I either wind up with a model that is too dark or too light. Fortunately for rendering, they HDR lighting works great. I just cannot find anything that works well for a WebGL page. In some cases it seems to be related to the size of the model.

My models are of car wash equipment. In some models I have a single piece of equipment. As an example, I can come up with acceptable results for single pieces of equipment (although I would like for some of the to be improved) but when the model is of a full wash (which can be 150' or longer) I cannot achieve an acceptable lighting environment. I have tried different types of lights but have not found the right type/combination yet.

Need some guidance.................

SimLab

Re: WebGL - Lighting

Postby SimLab » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:31 pm

Lighting is affected by the model size.

I would start adding lights one by one, and change their power to see the effect, and make sure I get enough light.

This will allow me to come with a good understanding on power effect on my scene.

ntxdave

Postby ntxdave » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:11 am

Thanks for the feedback but I need a little more education. :)

Here is a screen capture of a model (a very bad junky one) that I am using to try o learn how to do better lighting for a WebGL page.
SpotLight.PNG

I am not sure if a Spot Light is the best selection but that is what I am currently trying. I have tried several settings but still am not getting a full understand of how/where to place the light (or lights) to get good results. In this particular case, I have pointed out 3 questions about the settings for the Spot Light.
  1. When I click on the spot light and then click on the Rotate icon I get the ability to rotate the spot light in any direction necessary. I have had some minor problems discerning the results of rotating the light. I would help if the cone was larger so that it would more accurately show how the light will show in the model. I am also trying to understand how it differs from the Cone Angle control.
  2. What is the Blend control used for. I have set it to the max in both directions but have not seen any affect.
  3. What is the Cone Angle control and how is it supposed to be used?

I looked through the documentation and have not been able to find anything that explains the controls for the Spot Light (or others for that matter).

ntxdave

Postby ntxdave » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:00 am

OK - I figured out how each of the controls work. L am just not having very good luck figuring how to place & which ones to use in my models for a WebGL page. If only I could use rendering on a WebGL page. I would be really happy.

Return to “SimLab Composer”