Web GL issues

Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
Geoff

Web GL issues

Postby Geoff » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:32 pm

I've been in touch with tech support about this, but the time difference makes things difficult, so I thought I would post here.

I am trying to get WebGL exporting to work properly. My exports work fine when I load them into my browser directly from my hard drive, but they don't work when I put them on my website. It forever says "Unpacking..."

I had a colleague post one of the projects on his site, and it basically worked properly, except the "Loading" spinner doesn't go away.

Here are the links to my test:
My website: http://www.geoffkornfeld.com/WebGL_Test/Ram.html
My colleague 's website: https://www.bimodal.net/_ClientsVendors ... d/Ram.html

I think the issue is probably related to my web hosting service, but who knows? If that is the problem, can anyone suggest how I might make it work?

Thank you.

Pilou

Re: Web GL issues

Postby Pilou » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:02 am

Your test works fine for me! :)

your collegue's test takes more time to load and keeps the spinner! :geek:
Tested on Opera browser

chrisd

Postby chrisd » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:05 am

Geoff,

I tried both FireFox and Chrome with the same results as below:

- With your website link I cannot get past the "Unpacking ..."

- Using second link, takes a long time for the texture to show up (model is black, no shading). Eventually I see the texture, but the message "Loading ..." continues.

Just out of curiosity, what is your texture size (pixels)?

ntxdave

Postby ntxdave » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:45 am

Well, I had some interesting results. I tried in MS Edge, IE and Chrome. I got the same results in a 3 browsers.

• With link #1, I never got past the Unpacking stage in all 3 browsers.
  • For the 2nd link, all 3 browsers got to the Loading stage and I was able to rotate and pan the model but none of them ever finished the "Loading".

In the past, on my laptop I had some similar problems. I could never get past the "Unpacking" and many times goa a "Not Responding" message. You also could not just "double click" the html file the way you can with many others. After some discussions on this forum, I installed Microsoft IIS sever on my laptop. The I had to put the html file and the _files folder that went with the html page under the Inetpub/wwwroot directories on my laptop. Then I could do a localhost/ with the subdirectory where I had stored the files. Then I can view them. Given the fact that I can view the model on the 2nd link but it never finishes the "loading", I think @chrisd may have a valid point about the texture size. I also noticed that even when I could view the model there was some disconnected geometry. I think it was supposed to be a row of windows in the side of the vehicle but they were floating in space.

Hope this makes sense to you and that is provides some help. :)

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:20 pm

Thanks for your replies. It's just a 1k texture map, so I really don't think that's the issue.

I also had a second colleague load it onto her site and it worked perfectly, so I am now certain the issue is related to my web hosting service. I have been in contact with them, but the rep there had no idea what the problem might be.

I also tried giving writing permissions to all the files and folders, but that had no effect.

So I'm still stumped. :(

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:25 pm

Oh, and the object is a photo-model of a 3000 year old Roman boat ram. Or what still exists of it, anyhow. I do a lot of archaeology-related work. And the black and white thingy at the bottom is a scale.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 pm

Update: A friend who has also been working with WebGL -but writes the code by hand instead of using SimLab- sent me one of her projects to test out, and that worked fine on my site. So I guess it's a combination of things.

ntxdave

Postby ntxdave » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:00 pm

IMHO you have found the weakest part of the SimLab product line. I have had some sporadic problems displaying WebGL pages both from the perspective you have mentioned and I am still have problems with the lighting on some models in WebGL. The models work fine in when rendering and fairly well in VR but I cannot seem to get them to look in in WebGL.

For what it is worth, SimLab has said in another post that they will be addressing WebGL in version 9 but I have not seen anything indicating when that might be (other than some time this hear).

Again, IMHO, there is a lot of emphasis being put on VR and AR and very little in WebGL. My view of that, and I sure my be way off target, is that many people would like the ability to show there work/products in 3D on a web page. While VR has that capability, you either have to have a dedicated viewer or something like a headset. How many people do you see sitting around in an office or any place else for that matter viewing web pages with a headset. Or if you have to have dedicated viewer, how well do they work from a web page. IMHO, these companies are missing a BIG audience by not putting more emphasis/energy into WebGL.

OK, I will get off my soap box and get back to trying harder to figure out how to generate better quality WebGL pages. ;) ;)

Return to “SimLab Composer”