Point Cloud Format??

Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
Tessla

Point Cloud Format??

Postby Tessla » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:27 am

Hi Simlab.. Will a Point Cloud file open in Simlab Composer???

Destiny..

Tessla

Re: Point Cloud Format??

Postby Tessla » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:37 am

Sorry, I found out that it does not.

Can this be a feature request.. I think for 3D VRs it would be very valuable.

Destiny...

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:29 pm

Can you please explain why you need point clouds for VR?

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:23 pm

Well.. There is a lot more of this technology coming.. Photo + 3D Scanning...

http://www.roundshot.com/xml_1/internet/de/intro.cfm

The technology is getting cheaper..

But how to view it.. its already possible to make a 3D object from Photos.. But Laser Scanning to produce Point Cloud data is more accurate..

I might be wrong but I feel that there will be value in this technology.. At the moment the hardware is still very high end but I feel that in a short time it will be much cheaper..

What do you feel about this..??

Destiny...

chrisd

Postby chrisd » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:24 am

Point clouds are preferred viewing format for large data because the point density can be high and the view is still responsive. Vertex color is used rather than a separate texture map. Again, this improves the responsiveness in viewing and interaction.

See examples of point clouds in a web based viewer here http://potree.org/
Some of these have 50 million points or more.

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:49 am

Thanks for sharing that Chris.. What are your feeling on the value of being able to view a Point Cloud object within Simlab Composer.. Do you feel there would be value or merit to this...

There seems to be a lot more option to capture Point Cloud data.. There are some people in Egypt and other places, capturing ancient ruins. I feel it would be wonderful to view them in Simlab VR... and add another multimedia feature to provide information to the viewer...

When I capture a VR Pano image, its flat.. Its really a 2D image being viewed in a 3D environment.. I wish I could afford to buy that camera setup above but its.. wow!.. Expensive. But many people are buying equipment like this..

A couple of years a go I saw on TV, a group of young guys 3D scanning the inside of a cave system.. What a wonderful use of Simlab VR.. with a headset where anyone could be in those caves..

With my limited knowledge of Point Cloud scan, I feel that its provides an opportunity to view 3D Scanned objects with a faction of the files size a 3D Scanner could produce. I am not fully knowledgeable with all this so I am only seeing the value in what I know..

I have software that can create a 3D object from two images.. But the file size is huge.. and that is only a small area..

Anyway.. its nice to read other peoples point of view on this.. I feel that Simlab needs to keep this suggestion in the back of their mind as a possible future feature...

Destiny...

Pilou

Postby Pilou » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:28 am

https://www.3dflow.net/3df-zephyr-free / Photogrammetry for everyone! 8-)
50 photos maximum for a project! :geek:

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:20 pm

Unfortunately only for Windows..

Is a ZEP file Point Cloud...??

Destiny...

chrisd

Postby chrisd » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:34 pm

Destiny wrote:Thanks for sharing that Chris.. What are your feeling on the value of being able to view a Point Cloud object within Simlab Composer.. Do you feel there would be value or merit to this...

The advantage I see from using points is that it is a measurable representation of the environment. With the 360 Panos the object can be placed in a view that represents the environment, but does not actually relate to the object spatially, so measurements of the object in relation to the environment are impossible.

Photogrammetry is an alternative to laser scanning, and there are many applications that are affordable that would allow someone to get started creating point data. Using common digital camera is a big advantage as well, less expensive camera models can be used so its not necessary to have a DSLR for many uses. Photogrammetry does require capturing some known distances to scale the results because the process cannot set the correct size automatically.

AGI Photoscan Standard is similar to the link Frenchy provided ... For the roughly the same cost (under $200 US dollars), it allows unlimited # of photos. And there is a Mac version :D

Pilou

Postby Pilou » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:05 am

Is a ZEP file Point Cloud...??

I suppose ! :)

full camera, point cloud & mesh export

The perfect 3D viewer
An excellent way to share your .ZEP files with your customers, or simply if you need a free 3D model viewer on your pc.

Return to “SimLab Composer”