Point Cloud Format??

Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
Tessla

Re: Point Cloud Format??

Postby Tessla » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:16 am

Hi.. Back to the value in the Point Cloud format..

I was at a school today, where they had some surveyors doing all kind of things in readiness for new classroom to be built. They were surveying the placements of the buildings and where cables and pipes where located..

I got chatting to a surveyor and he said they often capture Point Cloud data... He said that with the data they could rotate the 3D scans...

Makes me wonder how many other companies would be doing the same. I really do think that Simlab Composer would be an awesome way to add many other media features including dimensions..

Tessla..

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:39 am

If a Point Cloud Viewer was added into Simlab Composer, I would also suggest there be some tools added where you could click from point to point to find the dimensions.. and drew lines onto an overlay where they could be turned on and off.. Also hotspots added to features where a window opens with images, data info or text.. I have the vision in my mind but I have no idea if this is even possible..

Tessla..

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:22 am

Hey there.. Seems I might be a "Forward thinking" person.. :)

http://www.firmatek.com/2010/09/29/how- ... 3d-models/

You might like to check this out too... Check out the videos.. Very interesting..

https://www.bentley.com/en/products/pro ... -pointools

I am totally convinced that Simlab should investigate time into adding options to add Point Cloud into Simlab Composer. Its a fast growing media area where many new scanners are being developed making the quality better and the hardware more affordable..

Tessla...

vislaw

Postby vislaw » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:35 pm

We work with point clouds every day in addition to a wide variety of 3D applications. For viewing, measuring and working with point clouds we work with applications such as Autodesk Recap Pro, Arena 4D or FARO Zone3D. Both of the latter permit realtime viewing with VR headsets. A couple months ago I did a presentation at an FBI conference in which we demonstrated several point clouds acquired of crime scenes to show how useful it is to be able to make measurements or do forensic blood spatter analysis on a scene within the comfort of your office. The agents were truly impressed at the potential for acquiring a 3D scan at a scene to preserve evidence and permit forensic analysis later.

On the other hand, the processing load for working with large point clouds can be significant and we almost always convert our point clouds to mesh objects when we wish to use VR for presentation purposes.

Obviously, we would all like to have every feature, but Simlab has to determine where to devote its resources. At this point my personal preference would be for the company to work on providing realtime VR experiences equivalent to the results currently being achieved by Lumion, Twinmotion and LumenRT. I am a huge fan of this company and what it has achieved and there is no solution out there that permits the level of interactivity as Composer. Nevertheless, if you download a trial version of Lumion or Twinmotion you will understand what I am talking about. Their libraries and realtime visualization are stunning.

Pocc

Postby Pocc » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:54 pm

Pilou wrote:https://www.3dflow.net/3df-zephyr-free / Photogrammetry for everyone! 8-)
50 photos maximum for a project! :geek:

I'd agree this is superb software for 3D photogrammetry and very quick to get acceptable results with.

I bought the lite version and have scanned several interiors of our products with it. With regards to Simlab importing point clouds I would say this unnecessary. The point cloud software (such as 3 flow) can export textured meshes which work well in Simlab for rendering and VR.

I can see the practical applications of this as described here, but with textured meshes viewed in Simlab VR I don't think there would be a performance issue.

vislaw wrote:We work with point clouds every day.. A couple months ago I did a presentation at an FBI conference in which we demonstrated several point clouds acquired of crime scenes to show how useful it is to be able to make measurements or do forensic blood spatter analysis on a scene within the comfort of your office. The agents were truly impressed at the potential for acquiring a 3D scan at a scene to preserve evidence and permit forensic analysis later.

On the other hand, the processing load for working with large point clouds can be significant and we almost always convert our point clouds to mesh objects when we wish to use VR for presentation purposes....

Return to “SimLab Composer”