A challenge

Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
chrisd

A challenge

Postby chrisd » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi Simlab,

Here's the challenge:
Attached is an STL file. Please convert to 3D PDF.

The rules.
1. You may only use Simlab Composer (no measuring, scaling, or moving the object in another application)
2. The object must retain its position with respect to the origin
3. The object originated in an inch units system, and inch units must be used in the 3D PDF
4. The exact size of the object is unknown (of course you can measure it in Simlab Composer)

Good Luck
Attachments
cube STL.zip
(245 Bytes) Downloaded 7 times

Tessla

Re: A challenge

Postby Tessla » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:39 pm

.. Are there chocolates on offer. Thats the important thing...

Not sure if I have done this as your challenge says.. What was it....??

I noticed the size a bit different.. 3D PDF its 393.701ins and in SL its 393.7008 but that is very good .. A 3D PDF has rounded it up a little...

Tessla...
Attachments
Cube-Measurements-2.jpg
Cube-Tessla.pdf
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Cube-Measurements-1.jpg

chrisd

Postby chrisd » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:46 pm

Thanks Tessla, your request for chocolates as payment makes me think there may be a place for Cryptochocolates , and a big plus, they don't melt :D

I have woefully lacking in attempts to explain this difficulty previously, so I reasoned that if Simlab works through this simple task I may not need to explain the problem again.

Your results confirm the problem.

chrisd

Postby chrisd » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:05 pm

I am open to work around methods, including measuring the object in another application to verify the size. My challenge is the ideal case, where I can rely exclusively on Simlab to produce output that is correct.

It seems unchecking "scale" on import options still results in the object not matching the size of the original. So if I know the size externally, I can compute the scale factor and enter that in Simlab.

Using bounding box dimensions would make this easier since making the measurement between exactly the same 2 pts in another app and then again in Simlab is difficult when the object is a scan with millions of points.

How difficult would it be to report the size of the object?

chrisd

Postby chrisd » Mon May 14, 2018 2:15 am

Simlab,

Part of my issue is relevant to the problem which is acknowledged in another thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10330

Is Imperial units support expected in version 9?

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Sun May 20, 2018 1:41 am

Hi.. I created some CAD Blocks of different designs using Rhino. I added them into Simlab Composer and I thought I had them scaled correctly. I exported them as a 3D PDF, but when I checked the sizing, they are not correct.. Way out.. Not really sure what I need to do to ensure my objects match the true sizing..

Tessla..

chrisd

Postby chrisd » Sun May 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Its not easy, and it should be.

If you know the object dimensions and you get different results in the 3D pdf, then its possible to adjust the scale in Simlab. The difficulty is when you don't know how big the object is.

The other factor is the measuring of the object to figure out the scaling. Using a bounding box is the best method since it does not require picking exactly the same points as a basis to compute the scale.

Return to “SimLab Composer”