Loosing materials

Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
cyana

Loosing materials

Post by cyana » Wed May 22, 2019 10:51 pm

Since 9.x, composer looses scene materials, regardless how often I assign them to the scene/scene objects. The lost materials are random, but always affect materials with a partly transparent texture. When I assign the materials, save the file and reopen it again, objects with lost materials are white having all the same material named DefaultMaterial~1. See example below.
MaterialBug.png
This is extremely annoying, please help!
thanks
Cyana

SimLab

Re: Loosing materials

Post by SimLab » Fri May 24, 2019 11:51 pm

Do you do file save, or file Pack.

If you are saving the file, the link to images on the file will be used, so if you texture files were erased from the machine they can not be restored.

IF you do File -> Pack, all textures will be saved in the zip file so they can be moved from one machine to another and they will be always available.

cyana

Post by cyana » Mon May 27, 2019 10:21 am

Hi SimLab,

I do a simple save, however the file and the materials are not moved from their original locations. When I reopen the same saved file after one second, materials are lost again. This regularly occurs for the same file(s) and within for the same materials, however there are files not affected at all using the same materials, and there are files which are affected but with different materials. All used materials are within the same material library and used throughout the whole project consisting of 20 files.

thanks
Cyana

Kush Desai

Post by Kush Desai » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:27 pm

Same problem with me on simlab composer 8.2.7. i Think its a kind of bug from version 7 and still continue.

Simlab please provide the solution to us. As your reply we are not moving our files around many computers we are just using a same single PC.

In previous versions 6 it was not there but after release of 7 its continue still.

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:39 pm

We are trying to add new options to protect against the issue.

The problem is that it is not an easy to reproduce issue, if any one can provide us with steps to reproduce that would be very helpful.

cyana

Post by cyana » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:41 am

Hi SimLab,

what I found out is that the problem - once it occures - can be cured most of the time, when I first drag the affected material from the library into the scene materials, and then assign the material to the object afterwards from within the scene materials.

I did a test with a new created genuine Composer object, here I could not reproduce the problem, i.e. when I apply the material directly from the library, it stays when I save the file and reopen it. So maybe it has something to do with exported Rhino objects. If wanted I can provide an affected file.
We are trying to add new options to protect against the issue.
May I suggest a possibility to save the scene materials within the sim file so that the file can be moved between computers without the need to pack it and take care of the used materials/textures.

best greetings and thanks
Cyana