Spherical 360 Envioronment Library Images

Share any feature you'd like to see in composer coming releases
Tessla

Spherical 360 Envioronment Library Images

Post by Tessla » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:01 am

Hi Simlab...

When rendering a 360 pano image, the Environment, clouds etc will not render into the image, rather you see the shape of the HDR.. I can add a Spherical image, but they are becoming harder to find..

Could you please add a Library set of 360 images with Clouds, City, Landscapes, Night Time with stars etc..

Thank you

Tesselaar..

Tessla

Re: Spherical 360 Envioronment Library Images

Post by Tessla » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:51 am

I found a 360 sky from DAZ 3D, which is seamless. Meaning that if I offset the image, the ends match..

However, just look at the zenith at the sky.. Even if I use a full 360 sky seamless image, where the image has a ratio of 2:1, it still will not work very well.. why is this..??? Can it be resolved..???

Tesselaar..
Attachments
SimLab_Camera-2.jpg

Grossy

Post by Grossy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:03 am

Hi Tessla,
not shure if this is what you are looking for but here is a link with good (free)HDRi's.
As I understand it 360-Panos are 'baked' into the HDRi.

https://hdrihaven.com/hdris/

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:18 am

Hi..

Yes, that was helpful.. I downloaded a HDR and changed it to 16bit jpg.. It seems the zenith is better too.. I tried to use the HDR but it was too dark. I would have thought since Simlab Composer can accept 32bit HDR it would have done a better job of detecting the HDR image.. Not to worry.. Not sure what went wrong with the zenith with my other pano.. It might have something to do with not being able to detect a png..

I will also use the HDR for environments too..

Thank you for this link. I am sure others might find it helpful too..

Regards

Tesselaar.
Attachments
SimLab_927.jpg

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:28 am

Environment lighting can be tricky to get right.. So I used Photoshop to brighten and increase the contrast.. Better result..

Tesselaar..
Attachments
brighter.jpg

Pocc

Post by Pocc » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:03 am

Good link from Grossy for the HDR files :) I've ended up shooting some myself before and stitching them together with Microsoft ICE. All you need is a good tripod and a digital camera that will take bracketed shots.

For licensing purposes, I suspect it would be hard for Simlab to open up the libraries for users to post in - but we could always share some we have via the forums if anyone is looking for something specific?

For example, I shot this one of a campsite to show off our products as I couldn't find anything online that suited.
63B142D7-DEB4-4EDA-972D-DF5AEA32E781.png
Also CAD packages often have a directory of HDR panos hidden in there, I use a lot of my Solidworks HDR's in Simlab, it might be if you have a 3D CAD package that you'll have a good stock of HDr's there too.

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:14 am

Now I notice another issue after the viewing the pano in VR mode.. The HDR background seems it's been created using a normal lens, as many basic panos are, with each image stitched together to form a pano image. But Simlab Composer create a VR Pano that suggest a Fisheye Lens has been used. Using the normal lens as the background with a fisheye lens to create the main scene is not the answer. The background image needs to have been created using a similar fisheye.. Then the question would be, which fisheye focal lens it is based on. Perhaps a 10.5mm.. When I capture a pano, I use a 10.5 fisheye for quick images, but for high quality I would use a 14-24 wide angel. They produce very different distortions..

See the two images attached to see what I mean.. Then visualise putting the sky as the background. They cannot ever match up.. The 3D pano is distorted as it would be captured using a fisheye lens, whereas the background has an almost horizontal horizon.. Not sure how it can ever be done..

Might have to go out and shoot a nice sky myself using a fisheye..

Tesselaar..
Attachments
SimLab_929.jpg
skyBG.jpg