Auto Depth-Map Creator for Facebook 3D

Share any feature you'd like to see in composer coming releases
rsj101

Auto Depth-Map Creator for Facebook 3D

Post by rsj101 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:57 pm

Hi Simlab team

Unless you have already got this and I've missed it....it would be great if you could add a button for "Capture 3D depth map" image which will spit out the camera capture as a standard image .png with the respective depth map file with _depth.png at the end to speed up creating Facebook 3D images as you could just drag and drop both files straight away.

Keep on creating a great product!

Thanks
Richard

SimLab

Re: Auto Depth-Map Creator for Facebook 3D

Post by SimLab » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:56 am

Interesting, I heard similar request but I did not know why. Now it is more clear.

So the image and depth map should both be 360 (panorama) or usual rendering image with depth map?

rsj101

Post by rsj101 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:39 pm

Thanks - I don't think Facebook supports 360° 3D, so just usual rendered image would be great. At the moment I render an image and then have to manually create a depth map in a photo editing software which is a bit hit and miss and quite time consuming.

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:21 pm

Currently depth map is only supported in OLD CPU renderer.

I will show you the steps needed to generate it.
I am looking forward to see sample of the results you are getting

To generate depth map

1- From File menu , go to Preferences , go to Render tab, uncheck use New SimLab Renders, and the other option as shown in the following image , then click OK
img1.png
2- From Render menu, Output settings, select Render Settings tab. Select Element Render, and set combo box to ZBuffer

as shown in following image
img2.png
Render to get a depth image as the following
img3.png

rsj101

Post by rsj101 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:00 pm

Thanks for these tips....am having mixed results. The Z-buffer render needs to be inverted in a photo manipulation software as the Facebook depth maps read lighter areas as closer as opposed to darker. I will keep trying to adjust the settings to see if I can get better results. [Click the attached image to see a GIF of the 3D post - it isn't public so can't share the direct post alas!].
Attachments
simlab facebook 3d test gif.gif