Toon shader or line on visible edges

Share any feature you'd like to see in composer coming releases
_Fx

Toon shader or line on visible edges

Postby _Fx » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:51 am

I'm wondering if it could be possible to implement a sort of "cartoon shader", which could be useful for renderings on printed assembly instructions, for instance. Maybe the possibility to add an outline to the visible edges of an otherwise photorealistic material.
Maybe something like a mix between the Sketchup line renderer, the Poser sketch renderer, Poser "cartoon" shaders and Clip Studio 3D import: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NjZ4OH6Gjc (2:00 - 2:15)
The basic idea behind this proposal is that sometimes, there is a need for a render that doesn't "impress" people too much, to help them to focus on the data and not on the photorealistic pic :lol:

hornpipe

Re: Toon shader or line on visible edges

Postby hornpipe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:02 am

_Fx wrote:I'm wondering if it could be possible to implement a sort of "cartoon shader", which could be useful for renderings on printed assembly instructions, for instance. Maybe the possibility to add an outline to the visible edges of an otherwise photorealistic material.
Maybe something like a mix between the Sketchup line renderer, the Poser sketch renderer, Poser "cartoon" shaders and Clip Studio 3D import: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NjZ4OH6Gjc (2:00 - 2:15)
The basic idea behind this proposal is that sometimes, there is a need for a render that doesn't "impress" people too much, to help them to focus on the data and not on the photorealistic pic :lol:

Sometimes use a Poser 11 Pro(same engine as Clip Studio Paint).
Poser has a Comic Book Rendering function. I can say that it works rather slowly and does not always lead to the desired result. You can do same with SL and any photo filters.

Here 5 minutes result. Of course you can do better, but it's just a demo sketch:

megamen.jpg

Return to “Composer Feature Requests”