Diffuse Texture for SSS Material

Share any feature you'd like to see in composer coming releases
hornpipe

Diffuse Texture for SSS Material

Postby hornpipe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:11 pm

When I rendered the glass ball with human hand for this thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10390&start=20. I noticed that SSS material does not have a diffuse texture. It is strange. Usually Subsurface Scattering is used for organic materials. In this case, it would be ideal for human skin. But alas.I did not find a suitable material for human skin.
sss1.jpg
Here is how the same hand looks in a more advanced renderer. By the way the texture is not best quality(very average).
sss2.jpg
If I'm wrong, I'll be glad to know another way for organic.

hornpipe

Re: Diffuse Texture for SSS Material

Postby hornpipe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:47 pm

I extracted the normal map from the texture. Yes, little bit better. But it still looks like a prosthesis.
sss3.jpg

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:58 pm

To be fair the other renderer with normal map. Better.
sss4.jpg

Ihab

Postby Ihab » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:47 am

Hi Hornpipe,

There is a reason the material is called thinsubsurface and not subsurface scattering :)
thinSS is an approximation that is useful and efficient for thin scattering materials like light covers, leaves, paper, etc. We do not support SSS since, so far, we did not perceive great interest in organic models rendering using SL composer. This does not mean we are not open to re-prioritize based on your and other users' feedback.

great model and rending BTW, your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ihab

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:45 am

Ihab wrote:...thinSS is an approximation that is useful and efficient for thin scattering materials like light covers, leaves, paper, etc. We do not support SSS since, so far, we did not perceive great interest in organic models rendering using SL composer.

Good. Do you think that leaves and paper are not organic? Why is the ability to apply a diffuse(color or albedo)textures disabled? For example I did not see solid color leaves. And you? :)

Same about "Velvet" material. Velvet can be good used for some custom materials. But why is the diffuse texture disabled too?

Ihab wrote:This does not mean we are not open to re-prioritize based on your and other users' feedback...

It's gratifying to hear it. But I do not expect a flurry of requests. :(
Therefore, I repeatedly wrote about the need to create a universal custom material. All the modern renderers are now on this path. Basically it is implemented as nodes or shader system. It's incredibly fast and simple.

Matt, plastic, metall and glass(was recently improved) are a children's league. Maybe it's time to go to the adult league? ;)

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:06 am

We thought about shader based rendering material, and the decision was not to do it, and I do not think that we are going to do it in the near future.

We surly can add more materials and add more parameters, but generating a graph with many nodes to describe the material were 2% of users know how to use them is something many of the other renders support, but they are against what we are trying to create here.

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:52 am

I have two arguments.

The version that I use is called SimLab PRO. If I'm not mistaken, PRO is a Professional. In my understanding, this is little more than 4-5 basic materials. ;)

I'm not against pre-made materials. I think this is too troublesome, constantly expand pre-made materials. Is it possible to make one advanced universal material? It can be called "Custom" or "Edvanced" or "Super bla-bla" :D

During the use of SL PRO, I have met dozens of materials that are not possible to reproduce the SL's standard options.

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:38 pm

More materials are coming, better rendering, and new features in all workbenches are coming.

I just want to set expectations right, I do not think graph based material is coming soon.

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:45 pm

Thank you @SimLab. We'll wait. 8-)

I know a dozen graphic(photo) software that call itself a "photoshop killer". Indeed, some have a huge number of features. But they do not have literally a few key features that has photoshop. Therefore photoshop remains unsurpassed. ;)

Good luck!

Return to “Composer Feature Requests”