Multilayer material

Share any feature you'd like to see in composer coming releases

Multilayer material

Postby Höregrö » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:25 pm

Would it be possible to have a material type that includes several materials on top of each other - a multilayer material? For example a clear coat carbon fiber material would have a glass material in front of a plastic material with carbon texture- and normal maps. Or a painted metal part that has worn off paint here and there that show the bare metal underneath. So the material type would just have 2(or more?) sub materials that you could choose from all the typical material types. The sub materials would have their own texture-,bump-,normal- and opacity maps and all the other material settings like normally. If the top material had an opacity map the next material would show up behdind it.

At the moment if I want to render a clear coat carbon fiber part, I offset the geometry in Solidworks and apply a thin glass material on the offset body and carbon on the main body, but a multilayer material would make the process a lot easier. I think a multilayer material would be a great addition to the material library, and help with creating super realistic renders! Is it something that would be possible to implement?

Re: Multilayer material

Postby hornpipe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:29 pm

It is a very good suggestion. But I'm afraid that when this is realized I'll be retired. Let's wait for something more simple. ;)

Re: Multilayer material

Postby SimLab » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Sure, we I will ask development to work on adding this in the next release.

I agree users can generate great results with such a material.

Return to “Composer Feature Requests”