texture mapping request

Share any feature you'd like to see in composer coming releases
Höregrö

texture mapping request

Postby Höregrö » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:20 pm

This must have been mentioned before but I'll bring it up again since it's the one single feature lacking in Composer that's constantly holding my renders back. This isn't probably an issue for people that use modelers with good texture mapping but for me (working with Solidworks) using the integrated Simlab texture mapping tools isunavoidable. The problems in it are:

1. In box mapping (capped) the uv-values aren't absolute on all faces of the "box". If I map anything other than a cube with the box mapping, the texture file's image apect ratio is stretched to match the aspect ratio of the surface on that side of the model. So I can't cover a model with a circular pattern for example, where the circles are the same size on every side of the object. At the moment I work around it by using break geometry or by assigning different materials on every separate surface on the modeling software. But if the geometry is more complex and has no separating surface borders, there's nothing I can do. This is a major hindrance for me and probably 90% of my time on and average render in Composer is spent on texture mapping :shock: . The better method for the box mapping would be that you would just enter U,V -values and all the sides of the "box" and mapped model would have the same aspect ratio. This should definately be atleast an option, I don't see any advantages on the current method except perhaps when using non-tiling textures which I never use. Preferably also have a rotation value for every side of the "box".

2. The box scale mentioned on nro. 1 should preferably be based on actual dimensions/relation to the scene size - not the model size. This way I could map all different sized objects that use the same material with the same value and not have to map them by trial and error each after each.

3. Plane mapping is useless since the plane orientation can't be changed. It should have a rotating origo like in the sun system or the orientation could be the camera orientation when pressing "generate text. coordinates"

If these additions are possible to add, it would greatly speed up my workflow and improve my renders immensely :geek: .

SimLab

Re: texture mapping request

Postby SimLab » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:14 am

Thank you for the feedback.

We will surly consider it in the next updates.

Ashraf

neilr

Postby neilr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:37 pm

I would love it if the texture coords were tied in to the object axis so you could move and align the axis to adjust the texture mapping, of course once mapped any movement of the axis would not adjust eh mapping. Since each geometry has its own axis perhaps a check box with the options: world axis, object axis, or geometry axis.

The issue I run into most frequently is when there is a partial sphere and the poles for the mapping are in the wrong place, there is nothing I can do about it other than use box or plane and do allot of trial and guess adjustments to get it to look ok.

Shanrein

Postby Shanrein » Wed May 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Did this ever get resolved?

I'm having issues with texture mapping where the texture stretches out to match the size of the plane, instead of tiling it. This issue is occurring in one of simblabs pre-made composer scene. To apply a material like carpet to the living room floor it stretches the pattern. It looks silly as the carpet pattern looks like a magnified close up in comparison to the couch. I would have assumed that simlab would have programmed their own scene to function properly. Is there an option to make it tile a seamless pattern?

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Thu May 11, 2017 9:40 am

Can you share an image showing the issue.

Grossy

Postby Grossy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:28 am

Hi,

bin a while...
Has this initial request from Höregrö bin met yet?

Kind regards Grossy.

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:05 pm

Did you check visual texture coordinate generation?

It gives you better control over UV generation.

uv.png
uv.png (17.3 KiB) Viewed 930 times

Shanrein

Postby Shanrein » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Yes the UV did solve the issue. Can someone tell me what the measurement/unit of 1 is? Does 2 double it? is it in inch's, feet, cm, etc? It seems to increase it by percentage when scaling it, so 1 = 100%, 2 = 200% the original. But how does it work with the mapping aspect?

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Those are not dimension units.

They can be converted to dimension units

When scaling is set to one then the bounding box gets texture from 0 to 1, set scale to 2 and it gets texture fro 0 to 2 so texture is repeated

Shanrein

Postby Shanrein » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Okay. So what does it mean when your scaling an object? or moving an object?

Return to “Composer Feature Requests”