Pilouteries

Tessla

Re: Pilouteries

Postby Tessla » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:01 am

Silo 3D is a nice software app but it never used to be that expensive at about $220 AUS $. To be honest, for that money there are better options, one of which is Rhino, but Silo is better for soft form modelling.. I have tried Blender but it has many issues with a Mac.. Its also really hard to use too... If they sold their software, I do not think it would not sell very well. People use it because its free.. I just wish Modo was not so expensive. I really like the software but for that money I would rather buy ZBrush.. That software is just awesome.. The rendering is amazing.. That software just keeps getting better and better... I do not know of any industry mob that actually use Modo.. They all use ZBrush. We pushed for Modo to provide a better option for academic licensing of Modo but we were ignored.. Its still far too expensive so we do not promote the use of it in schools.. We do not see any point.. There is Mud Box from AutoDesk, which some schools have for free.. Thats good enough for what a student can use it for.. Some schools have 3D Printers so they can print their creations too.. Its hard to keep up with it all.

Destiny...

matt_one

Postby matt_one » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:30 pm

Yes, it's very hard to keep up with all these good things!
I've tried an older version of ZBrush, and I loved it! I used it to make the body of this character :

ZBrush is not so easy to use, however.
Mud Box is also interesting...
I'm searching for the right program to buy, the choice is really hard to make and I'm still searching.
So, you're a teacher?
I think a good free software for students would be Scultpris, they can start to learn 3d scultping with it.
What do you think?

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:49 pm

Wow.. I did not now about Scultpris.. I have just downloaded it..

Thank you for this info... My big issue is our options to install software.. Since the new MOE, schools are restricted as to which software they can install. Mud Box is fine in High Schools, since its been approved but I only teach Primary and Early Year students. I mostly only use software for me to create the creative visual content and showcase it on our interactive whiteboards. I don't really buy software to use to teach it.. Little kids find it hard to visualise 3D. Simlab Composer has been really great.. I can create interactive 3D, save it to my memory card and then get my students to immerse themselves with interacting with the objects.. They have gained a much better understanding of a 3D object.. Physical objects are great but animation is much better.. and besides, physical objects a limited since they cost heaps so 3D media is better and much more adaptable.. I only mostly create very simply 3D objects and shapes.. I do not have any training in CAD at all.. I will look forward to seeing what Scultpris can do.. I see some big creepy animals on their web site. Kids love that kind of thing.. 3D insects and others are great for science.. So much better than an image..

Your 3D work with ZBrush is just amazing. To be honest, I feel you have already fond the best 3D software for you needs. ZBrush is by far the best.. If I could afford to buy it I would.. ;)

Destiny....

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:05 am

Another great software you might like to try is Hexagon.. It tends to crash a bit but its still very good.. and Cheap!

https://www.daz3d.com/hexagon-2-5-downl ... oCZirw_wcB

Destiny...

Pilou

Postby Pilou » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:40 am

I was an old Zbrusher from its golden age! :mrgreen:

Yep Hexagon is maybe the best ergonomy for a subdivision modeler program ever made!
it was free for sometimes at Daz! ;)
It's a French program son of the old amazing Amapi7! (who mixed Nurbs & Polys) :)

You can try the Free Rocket 3F as Subdivision modeler: it's a crazzy one! And Neobarok also! ;)

Else Sdmitch has updated his Pluging DeckBuilder (for SKetchUpMake ) all free!
A true Gem 8-)
I can resist to play with it! :mrgreen:
All modeling + render in SImLab takes 10 seconds so why not to play! ;)
Sans titre - 17.jpg

matt_one

Postby matt_one » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:17 am

Thanks Destiny,
Hexagon seems very interesting, I'll give it a try!
As for Sculptris, it's from Pixologic like ZBrush.
Don't miss to read its pdf manual before start.
You can find it in the program folder after the installation, or you can read it here :
http://www.jarne.byethost12.com/prog/Sculptris_Alpha6_Documentation.pdf?i=1

At Pixologic website you can find the related forum for Sculptris :
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?110-Sculptris-Main-Forum

matt_one

Postby matt_one » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:30 am

Hi Pilou!
I tried ZBrush only one time and only for scultping, that is not what I'm interested in.
To put it better, I'm interested in organic-mechanical mix and maybe ZBrush has much to offer now with ZModeler, but I never tried it so far.
Anyway, it's a great program! I would like to see something like MeshFusion in ZBrush.
Rocket 3F and Neobarok seem to be very interesting too!

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:05 am

Yes.. I got it for free.. :D

Destiny...

Pilou wrote:Yep Hexagon is maybe the best ergonomy for a subdivision modeler program ever made!
it was free for sometimes at Daz! ;)
It's a French program son of the old amazing Amapi7! (who mixed Nurbs & Polys) :)

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:00 am

To be honest, I feel Hexagon is better than Silo... And even a bought version is still great value.. Free even better :D .. Silo is expensive..

Modo is even better but I will not buy it since its far too expensive.. I would rather buy ZBrush. Can't afford that either :lol:

I am happy with the software I have.. Rhino is great, I have used it since V1 and now I have V5.2.4.. I also have Fusion but I still need to find time to learn how to use it.. I used AutoCAD 13 when I was at Uni, but the new version 2015 for me is hard to use.. I really like Inventor, again hard to use, and it does not have the animation options Simlab Composer has so its a bit of a waist of time learning it for me. I can't use it anyway since there is no Mac version.. To be honest, I would rather spend my time on animation using Simlab Composer.. i don't do CAD as a job so not real point in learning high end modelling.. Maya is really good for modelling but I find it tricky.. But the basic modelling is quite easy.. I have version 2016 on my Mac. Maya tooling is mind boggling.... I also have Cheetah 3D but I don't use it much... I think that software is quite good value. I suggest you check it out.. One main issue with some of these CAD apps, when using a Mac is the Magic Mouse.. Its just about unless.. So I have a conventional mouse too..

We keep coming back to time.. Never enough.. I am very lucky I have so many ways to model.. But I don't really have time to use most of it.. Besides, for me, basic modelling is fine... I will just use models from Grab CAD to practice my modelling skills. I am hoping SImlab Composer develop the Timeline Animation better.. I am sure they will.. Even as Simlab Composer is now, it can still do heaps more than some of the most expensive software..

I will try to find time over the school holiday to learn Hexagon more... Great app and great value..

Destiny...

matt_one

Postby matt_one » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:16 pm

I do Cad job since 25 years ago and I used many typical Nurbs and solid modelers, like Rhinoceros, Solidworks, Catia V4 and V5.
So, I'm pretty new to these mesh and subdivision surfaces programs.
Neither I never so much interest to Computer Graphic, since I previously had other interests.
I started 2 years ago, after discovered Lego Digital Designer and, soon after, Simlab Composer.
Especially Simlab Composer was a true revelation for me, since it can greatly enhance my currently hobbyist works.
If I had not known Simlab Composer, I would not do what I'm doing now....

Return to “Rendering (images)”