Animated in SimLab Composer 7

azharqazi

Animated in SimLab Composer 7

Postby azharqazi » Thu May 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Here's a list of videos we made for our products in SimLab Composer 7.
We do not have to outsource our product animations, every animation we built is inhouse - me and my brother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXmVxx2Opk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq66ml1G88w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgdE2Z0mEA

Pilou

Re: Animated in SimLab Composer 7

Postby Pilou » Thu May 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Good shoots! 8-)

idslk

Postby idslk » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:26 am

Hello azharqazi,

great product. great product video!
Can you please tell how you've animated the spring?

Regards
Stefan

ntxdave

Postby ntxdave » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:12 am

Great question @idslk. When I have tried scaling an object, I just get uniform scaling which in a situation like the spring would also change the size of the spring coil. I think this is a very needed & useful capability.

ntxdave

Postby ntxdave » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:11 pm

I did finally find a way to scaled an animated object other than using the uniform scaling. You can click on the object, then click on the Transform tab in the object panel and individually control the scaling in the x, y, or z planes. I think this must be how the spring was controlled.

In this PDF file, if you look at the red and black wires on the main arm for the brush, you will notice that they are scaled as the brush rotates. (I did not do the best in the world but at least it did kind of figure it out). At least I am starting to learn some of the tricks to use SimLab.
Top Brush wOptions-Animation.pdf
Animated Top Brush - with object scaled
(2.74 MiB) Downloaded 35 times

idslk

Postby idslk » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:47 pm

Hello ntxdave,

interesting attempt.
I've tried the same but had no luck.
Simlab refuses to scale an object in only one axis which is already in animation.
Scale1.JPG
Scale1.JPG (38.41 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

But it also would be no solution if it works because scaling scales the complete object including the wire of the spring...
Scale2.JPG
Scale2.JPG (35.12 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

Scale3.JPG
Scale3.JPG (44.55 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

Regards
Stefan

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Transformation tool is simply squeezing or expanding the mesh along the axis. It works like if you squeeze a photo. It's not very realistic. Is not it? ;)

Such animations are doing with the help of a software which is able to change associative the mesh(relative to the skeleton or the guide path) and write it to an animated FBX file. It can software, which specializes in 3d animation(Blender, Maya, Lightvawe, some CAD software like AutoCAD etc...

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:52 pm

ntxdave wrote:...In this PDF file, if you look...

I looked your PDF file. I think you must know it.
I have two workstations:
i5/32Gb RAM/nVidia Quadro 2Gb and i7/64Gb RAM/nVidia Quadro 6Gb
Both stations are configured to work with CAD, 3D and graphics applications. Your animation is played only on the second computer. On the first computer animation stands(although the machine is quite powerful too). I would pay attention to this fact.

ntxdave

Postby ntxdave » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:20 pm

hornpipe wrote:

I have two workstations:
Both stations are configured to work with CAD, 3D and graphics applications. Your animation is played only on the second computer. On the first computer animation stands(although the machine is quite powerful too). I would pay attention to this fact.

Thank for this feedback. I have been doing this with the 3D PDF for now because it is the only way I have to share stuff other than a movie. My goal is for the user to be able to interact with things in a 3D environment. I will have to try to find another machine to try the stuff on. Right now I am working on a laptop that is an i7/12Gb RAM/NVIDIA 765M 2Gb and sometimes there is a little bit of lag when rotating. I am trying to generate something that I can share with the people I do the car wash stuff for (just a few hours of work per month :) ). Otherwise I am retired and really cannot justify the purchase of something link SimLab but I do think the software has a lot of potential.

On the topic of scaling, I have looked at it both in SketchUp and Composer (see image below). Neither of them scale it the way you really would like for it to (SketchUp is slightly better). If you think about the logic, the software is scaling all aspects of the object therefore it has no logic that says scale (in this case) the helix in the center of the spring but keep the diameter/radius of tube the same. When it comes down to it, this is an interesting challenge. If you look at the original post that started this thread, their spring scaling looks pretty good. Maybe it is because they did not have to squeeze it very much and the spring was small enough and tight enough that you really can not see the distortion.
Spring Scaling.png
Spring Scaling

My trial version is going to expire in a few days so I am not going to get much more done. The things I have been reading about 8.1 sure look interesting. I wish I that I could try the new improvements but will just have to watch what the rest of you report. :cry:

ntxdave

Postby ntxdave » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:08 pm

hornpipe wrote:

I have two workstations:

I do have an old desktop with Win 7 on it so I emailed the PDF to the old computer and it worked fine there as well. However, I did have to go into Acrobat and Enable 3D content before it would work. Do you need to do that on the machine where it is not working?

Return to “Rendering (movies)”