Motorcycle VR showroom

SimLab

Motorcycle VR showroom

Postby SimLab » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:11 pm

Motorcycle VR showroom: VR experience created using SimLab Composer.

Direct link to video

jsaid

Re: Motorcycle VR showroom

Postby jsaid » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:06 am

Wow! I liked the ideas :idea: of binding motorcycle colors with spray paints and photos with showing and hiding as if I'm in a game.

ntxdave

Postby ntxdave » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:58 pm

jsaid wrote:Wow! I liked the ideas :idea: of binding motorcycle colors with spray paints and photos with showing and hiding as if I'm in a game.

Yes, the basic ideas are pretty neat. However, if you had not seen the video, how would you know any of that was possible? If someone just told you to go look at it, would you know that you could do any of it?

IMO, there needs to be some "clues" or instructions somewhere that would cause you to take the actions. I think what you can do is pretty neat and a pretty fair amount of that can also be done on a WebGL page which does not require a viewer. That is pretty neat also. :) From a VR standpoint, the navigation from one room to another (and opening the door), is a really neat feature that can allow you to navigate through a building/structure. 8-)

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:45 pm

Hey there Dave. Personally I feel that many interactive multimedia showcases do not have instructions either.. Most people these days just click and experiment. But I do agree there should be some kind of image prompt that might encourage the user to seek out the feature.. Its this kind of multimedia that engages the viewer to discover more.. To be honest, I sure wish the Queensland Education Department would see the light in all this and add it into the curriculum in some way.. They add software like Scratch for basic programming since that is all the norm these days in pushing programming skills but they are not real-world software apps.. SImlab Composer is.. There is so much for students to learn and with all these new features its a great way to engage the disengaged student/s... I guess more for High School students but I only teach primary.. But my little years Prep to 3 always love seeing the final results.. They get excited by it but sorry to say they are not able to use the software.. Year 6 would be but its not on the EQ list of software within the curriculum so its very hard.. All software has to be added to a network and have permission to do so.. Years ago, it was possible with the right principal on board..

I was wondering if VR Head-Sets can be used with all this and also able to interactive with..

Destiny..

ntxdave

Postby ntxdave » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:17 am

I understand what you are saying but while people in the 3D development world and those who play games online are more "adventurous", I find that people do not seem to be as tolerant on business sites. JMO :)

Right now I would have a hard time selling this to the people I do work for except maybe ( ;)) for use at their convention but I have some doubts about that as well.

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:46 am

Everything we have in the VR gallery is designed to work interactively.

So what was created here is something you can use with
HTC vive
Oculus Rift
With the interactive desktop viewer
and soon on mobile

What we show here is simply a quick interactive run that was done by the VR experience designer on the desktop, we save it as a video and share it.

When you get the model you are in control and you can direct the experience the way you want, and that is were the real fun begins.

Regarding the note about the clarity of the experience as soon as you click the action button (on HTC controller, XBOX controller for oculus, or left mouse on desktop) objects with actions will be automatically highlighted so that user does not waste time guessing what objects I can interact with.

The designer of the VR experience can easily add instructions before the experience starts, on how to use it, it is up to the experience designer to determine if she/he wants that, this is similar to 3D PDF, some designers prefer to add the mouse navigation options in front of the user, this is based on your understanding of the recipient.

Return to “VR”