Simlab 10 Update cycle and extend support option

Latest updates and news from Simlab Soft
bbuxton

Re: Simlab 10 Update cycle and extend support option

Post by bbuxton » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:23 am

SimLab wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:54 am
We hope to grow SimLab Composer user base, but our main way to do this is to keep current SimLab Composer users happy, we are sorry if anyone decided to leave, if so we will do more to get you back.
It is not a problem with the software, pricing is more difficult as value is subjective and only measured against a subset of what the software can do. Communication is probably something that could be improved. Whereas many companies use an update promotion to get users to upgrade it is usually communicated better than "It's coming soon......very long pause" then Suprise discounts for upgrades, "oops too late, tough luck". The v 9 release took 23 months to get to 10 so this was easy to miss.
The value of the cloud sharing licensing still needs clearer detail to differentiate itself from Sketchfab, Matterport, Augment etc.

So look at how some of the CAD software you support handle upgrades
IronCAD the upgrade price is the same no matter what version you upgrade from.
ZW3D - the same upgrade price from any version,
Rhino3D - the same upgrade price from any version
Alibre - the same upgrade price from any version
ZBrush - All Upgrades have been free since version 2

All the Autodesk products are subscription-only, but reasonable value is apparent
Solidworks/Solidedge/Creo - different price category
Onshape is pretty terrible value subscription only.
Modo is maintenance or subscription
etc. etc.

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:35 am

I know it is easy to have opinion on the subject and I agree it is fair, we are looking to improve.

So the point is software are licensed in many different ways.
We picked something we think that allows us to improve the software, add features, and that is fair for our users to put them in control, not to take their models as hostages :)

SimLab Composer 10 is a major release from both functionality, and the way we are providing software, by switching to continuous update model this allows us to serve a high tech industry, continuously changing, better.

Despite 23 months between Composer 9 and 10, in the meantime we provided 9.1 and 9.2 both including new features free for Composer 9 users, You can check what was added to those features here

Regarding communication, we just communicated release of Composer with quick listing of features, we will still communicate more about new things in Composer 10, In the past we used to communicate new features months before the release, now we are doing it the opposite, as soon as we talk about something users will have the software in their hands and they can see if it delivers or not, and with continuous release, if it needs improvements we will improve it quickly.

Newsletter was sent to all users so that can know about the discount. I think 1 month is a good time to think and to take advantage of the discount for users interested in the upgrade.

Our Sharing platforms is very different from all those other platforms, it was designed for SimLab users, it is not general, it has great integration with SimLab Composer, and SimLab VR Viewer and this is what makes in unique, it makes it very easy to communicate models you created to others, I agree with you we have to explain it clearly and we will.

bbuxton

Post by bbuxton » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:18 pm

I received the release announcement on 15/06, prior to that the last email from SimLab Soft was in December last year.

Ranting on forums is not something I enjoy. I will step away as it is hard to draw a rational line between this and the psychological and financial fuzz and unravelling due to social distancing and other nonsense.

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:28 pm

I understand 100%, Really thankful for your feedback.

Take care, stay safe, and have fun, all will be better soon. :D

Phidippus

Post by Phidippus » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:14 am

OK guys... I'm still confused, so help me out here before the end of June deadline...
I have Simlab Mechanical v9.2.23 that I purchased in July 2018. I've updated at every opportunity since 2015.
So I can pay $239 before the end of June and I get one more year of updates, that is, until June 2021.
At the end of June 2021, if there is not a version 11 available but there are incremental updates available, I will not be able to update to those as my time will have run out. Will there be a smaller update fee to obtain the incremental updates until the release of v11?
Now... plan B. Extend Update Support...
Does this mean that, if I pay $399 before the end of June that I will receive 2 years of updates...? So in effect I will be able to receive updates until June 2022, including updating to v11 if it comes out during that time period?
"This choice is to extend the update support of your SimLab Composer 10 for another year if it was ended. The user will be able to update to newer versions for 1 more year then he will stop receiving updates."
By "if it was ended" do you really mean, "after it ends"? I may be overthinking this, but I find the explanation vague.
Can you help me understand this better so I make the right choice... and before the end of the month? Thanks! :D

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:24 pm

Those are great questions, I will try to make things clear

Extended support is something only Composer 10 users can buy, so it is not an option for now.

When you buy a license for Composer 10, you get a perpetual license with upgrades included for 1 year.
If you buy extended support and use it before your current supports ends , it will add an extra year, to the support you have (you will not lose days)

If SimLab Composer 11 was released while you have active maintenance you will get it for free without additional payment.

Users with continuous extended support will be eligible for discounts for renewing support, I will share the details soon.

Kush Desai

Post by Kush Desai » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:46 pm

after using simlab for long time V6 to V8 i need to say simlab support is best. This forum is nice to communicated with users as well as creators of this nice product.

Moreover, i am using V8 currently and i missed june month deadline to upgrade my V8 to V9 so that i can get V10 for free as per rule Because of Covid-19 Lockdown of 3 months in my country India. I have 2 lic of simlab composer 8 is it possible to upgrade both of them to 10 directly without buying new lic coz it cost almost 300$ and upgrade is cheaper compare to buying new one.

As per your website you have removed simulation workbench from Pro edition in V10 earlier it was there is it correct or i am unable to understand info on your website please reply a answer regarding this. Simulation is our first priority as we are Design consultants and we often use it to validated our designs.

Thank you... waiting for your reply...Take care !