Modelling software for people on a budget

Discuss any 3D\CG topic that you might find related to Simlab products
keith1961

Modelling software for people on a budget

Postby keith1961 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi
I’m an amateur modeller so I can’t afford, and don’t have time to learn to use, the expensive professional modelling apps. So for a long time I thought I would be stuck with the choice of Hexagon or Blender but there seem to be quite a lot of new free 3d apps around at the moment and I have been testing some of them out. One of the easiest to use is Rocket 3F https://rocket3f.com/. It is quick to learn and works well with Moi3d and 3D Coat, which are my other two favourites at the moment. Where rocket also scores highly in my book is its low cost to power ratio. If you are happy to renew your license each month (a few mouse clicks) its free to use with no restrictions. It’s much easier to learn than Wings or Blender so a good for beginners as well as experienced modelers who want quick results. Vectory might also be worth a look but it’s not quite so easy to pick up and runs in a browser. Because of the flexibility of Simlab I have managed to import models from all of the above apps into Simlab for rendering.
Keith

Pilou

Re: Modelling software for people on a budget

Postby Pilou » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Sure a very cool one! 8-)

Another free one "stream line UI" will be Vectary! (onLine) 8-)

Direct link to video

Direct link to video

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi,
3D software is very difficult to learn. Therefore, I see no reason to study the little-known and not common software.

Small budget?
Blender is a very powerful free package. A lot of tutorials, plug-ins etc...
I very rarely use the subdivision modelling and I chose Silo 3D. Silo is very similar to Maya, easy to learn and coast about 100$. It depends on what are you going to do.

How long have these two guys the patience to develop this Rocket? Where is the guarantee that Vectary will be developed further?

Pilou

Postby Pilou » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:02 am

I doubt that Silo is similar to Maya! :)
I don't see particles, animation, Nurbs etc..inside
Silo is surely more easily to learn yes!

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:37 pm

Pilou wrote:I doubt that Silo is similar to Maya! :)
I don't see particles, animation, Nurbs etc..inside
Silo is surely more easily to learn yes!

I see no point arguing about it. Silo costs about $ 100 for ever. Maya coats $ 200 per month. I have no doubt that Maya has a lot more than Silo. But the principle of operation, tools, functions etc.. are same. Silo has even UI themes imitating Maya.

I mean that Silo is an excellent starting software for those who are planning to go to a more serious software (in this case Maya).

Pilou

Postby Pilou » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:26 am

No problem 8-)
An another one "free" for hobbyists, enthousiasts, and even StartUp : Fusion 360 ! 8-)

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Fusion 360 is super cool. But is it really free? 30-days trial or 3 yars for students. After trial periode 260-1300€ / year.
So, not really free. In addition F360 is a very specific engineering software. For hobbyists?

chrisd

Postby chrisd » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:40 pm

hornpipe wrote:Fusion 360 is super cool. But is it really free? 30-days trial or 3 yars for students. After trial periode 260-1300€ / year.
So, not really free. In addition F360 is a very specific engineering software. For hobbyists?

Actually, it is free even for commercial use, if your earnings are below a certain amount.

It is specialized, but I think one would have to try it out for themselves to determine user friendliness. I find Blender and ZBrush to be far less friendly than many CAD apps.

If the intent is specifically to render the models, a CAD application might not be a good choice, even if it is easy to use. Most tend to poorly mesh the CAD (nurbs) surfaces if exported to a mesh format, and rendering artifacts can result.

Simlab can generate a mesh from a nurbs format, but I find that I don't a lot of control over the resulting mesh, although it possible to use a slider to change the resolution.

Pilou

Postby Pilou » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:43 pm

If you don't explore link(s) that i give! ;)

hobby.jpg

Pilou

Postby Pilou » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:47 pm

Simlab can generate a mesh from a nurbs format
I am not sure of that!
File 3dm with polygons yes, file 3dm with nurbs no! :)
Try with this 3dm file from Moi3D! :)
You will have no success with it!
Attachments
test_simlab_moi.zip
(8.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Pilou on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Discussions”