Best output settings from 3d Coat

Discuss any 3D\CG topic that you might find related to Simlab products
SimLab

Re: Best output settings from 3d Coat

Postby SimLab » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:18 pm

This really helps, we truly appreciate that.

Every small mention helps.

Since announcing the light edition of SimLab Composer and with the help of the community download and usage has exceeded what we expected.

Our only regret is that we did not do it before.

Thank you very much.

Ashraf

keith1961

Postby keith1961 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi
I really can not promise speculator map in the next release.

Is it a big job? It would make a huge difference to the quality of the renders. At the moment I have stopped rendering in SimLab and use the 3d Coat one instead. What I have been using SimLab for is packing models complete with texture maps. Although I do have to add specular maps to the zips manually.
Regards
Keith

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:15 pm

This depends on the fact, do we need a new texture coordinate for specular map, or it will work fine with the same texture coordinates, similar to normal map and opacity.

If not new texture coordinate is needed, it is much simpler.

Ashraf

keith1961

Postby keith1961 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:52 am

Hi
The model has separate parts and it would be nice if it was possible to apply separate material settings to each in Simlab. For instance, it would be good if the grip could be plastic while the barrel was metal. As it has only one UV map it has to be all metal, or all plastic etc.
Thanks for looking
Keith

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxRy7hFRY83BWDh6WDhaMUVVZGs

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:45 pm

keith1961 wrote:Hi
The model has separate parts and it would be nice if it was possible to apply separate material settings to each in Simlab. For instance, it would be good if the grip could be plastic while the barrel was metal. As it has only one UV map it has to be all metal, or all plastic etc.
Thanks for looking
Keith

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxRy7hFRY83BWDh6WDhaMUVVZGs

You can do two versions(or more 3,4...) of the rendering: rough and metal. Then mask unnecessary in Photoshop. Rendering is an artificial photo. Therefore, it is a good habit to refine rendering results in Photoshop.

keith1961

Postby keith1961 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:13 pm

Hi
I just did an experiment using a painted object from 3d Coat. I duplicated it in place in Simlab and applied a metal map to the alpha channel of the first instance and an inverted metal map to the second. This does appear to allow metal and matte textures on the same object. A bit of a cheat I know but it works.

Capture.JPG

ntxdave

Postby ntxdave » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Very interesting result.

I have not done much rendering and/or post processing so I really do not understand all of the things I see you guys doing but I enjoy seeing the results. I need to find a good place to learn more about rendering and all of the terminology you people use. 8-)

keith1961

Postby keith1961 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi NTXDave
This might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjGCtnEDDeU

I didn't mean to be so obscure. Basically, I made a copy of the bolt and used a mask to hide the metal where I wanted the fabric to show through without being shiny.
BW
Keith

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:32 am

keith1961 wrote:Hi
I just did an experiment using a painted object from 3d Coat. I duplicated it in place in Simlab and applied a metal map to the alpha channel of the first instance and an inverted metal map to the second. This does appear to allow metal and matte textures on the same object. A bit of a cheat I know but it works.

Cool but it can work not always. There is an easier way. You can generate metalness as a alpha texture. I'm not sure how, but something like that:
mt1.jpg

The result in SL is not bad.
mt2.jpg

Btu for complex materials, a more edvanced adjustment is needed.
mt3.jpg

Return to “Discussions”