How to rotate textures?

Discuss any 3D\CG topic that you might find related to Simlab products
cyana

How to rotate textures?

Post by cyana » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:31 pm

How can I influence the texture's rotation? My problem is, that the assigned texture is tilted 90° to the left, even when I tilt the original jpg counter wise to correct this. Also, sometimes textures are mirrored for no obvious reason.

thanks
Cyana

OLLEC

Re: How to rotate textures?

Post by OLLEC » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:03 pm

Does you model have a special UV-map, or are you using one of the "normal" projection methods (plane, ball, etc.)?

cyana

Post by cyana » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:26 pm

Thank you for your reply. It was just a normal UV map. I tweaked around with the UV-Menu, however the manual gives no clue whatsoever how to use it and what the icons are all about. My impression is that it simply does not work at all.

I want to assign the texture in the picture at the bottom to the object in the middle. While it looks ok in SimLab composer (at least on the front - I however want it to wrap around the whole object), when I render the scene the texture is mirrored and the offset is moved to the left - see attached picture.
render-6.jpg
thanks
Cyana

OLLEC

Post by OLLEC » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:48 pm

I'm not a big exprt myself and I still don't fully understand, but I hope it still helps... :-)

- Go to the UV-menu and choose a projection method (I guess in you case "box" might be the right choice.
- Click run
- click on the blue dot in the middle of the object and rotate and move it to the right place
- That's it

It's a bit different though, if you created an object-specific UV map (in Blender, for example). Then, your choices are limited to the program you used to create that UV-map

cyana

Post by cyana » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:31 pm

Thanks OLLEC for your reply. I tried the UV Menu but the outcome is a total mess. There is no visual reference in what you are doing, just a yellow box that can be rotated or moved. But you do not get any idea how the texture is reacting to your input. I wonder if there is anyone who is able to use this kind of UV manipulation - for me it's not usable without a conclusive description and maybe some examples.

thanks
Cyana

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:10 am

Hello cyana,

interesting problem. So the model is uv-mapped but this particular face is not properly rendered...mmh.

Workaround:
Have you tried to click on the object, maybe with right click > object > break into faces
then assign the desired texture as a simple planar texture to only this face.

best regards

cyana

Post by cyana » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Hi Alex,

thank you for your reply. I want to avoid splitting the geometry, because it's a paper model kit and the parts are reflected by the geometries in Composer. Unfortunately, Composer does not allow to group different composites of material into one geometry.

I meanwhile found out, that part of the problem is that Composer does not update tweaks in the UV-Menu properly. In the case above, once I close the model and reopen it, the rendering matches the model - or actually the other way round, the (incorrect) placement/orientation of the texture in the rendering now also shows up in the model.

best greetings
Cyana