Best output settings from 3d Coat

Discuss any 3D\CG topic that you might find related to Simlab products
keith1961

Best output settings from 3d Coat

Postby keith1961 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi
As 3d Coat does not have output settings for SimLab (what an outlandish oversight) I am trying to find my own settings. I read that Simalab uses something called Embree that is also used by Corona render Should I be using this export option? I would like to be making things again but I'm stuck finding ways to send textured models from 3d Coat to Simlab. Admittedly a lot of the problems I am having are in 3d Coat but confidence that I'm sending the right stuff over to Simlab would be one less issue.
Regards
Keith

SimLab

Re: Best output settings from 3d Coat

Postby SimLab » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:07 pm

Keith,

Embree is a low level technology created by Intel, that you can use in developing a real time renderer.
The file format is limited, and it is not the best option for communicating with SimLab Composer.

I find it very strange that they do not have a good option taking in consideration all the file formats supported.

Ashraf

keith1961

Postby keith1961 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:56 pm

3d Coat exports .obj and has settings that can be chosen to best export to various other software. I just don't really understand which might be best for rendering in Simlab.

Here is the list:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxRy7hFRY83Ba2tRMWFLdWx6MVU/view?usp=sharing

And here are my settings:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxRy7hFRY83BVWZlR0FtTmpSMFE/view?usp=sharing

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:48 pm

keith1961 wrote:3d Coat exports .obj and has settings that can be chosen to best export to various other software. I just don't really understand which might be best for rendering in Simlab.

Here is the list:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxRy7hFRY83Ba2tRMWFLdWx6MVU/view?usp=sharing

And here are my settings:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxRy7hFRY83BVWZlR0FtTmpSMFE/view?usp=sharing

SimLab supports only diffuse, bump, normal and alpha maps(depends on the material type). You should be taken it into account when exporting from 3dcoat.

SimLab does not support specular, metalness or other glossy maps. Therefore, for the 3D Coat user SimLab is relatively useless. I hope that it is temporary. :) Specular map would be extremely useful. I already wrote about it here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10128

Some examples:

3D Coat :D
01_3dcoat.jpg

KeyShot :D
02_keyshot.jpg

SimLab :?
03_simlab.jpg

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:26 pm

You should be able to do much better, What a dull render :o

Send me the model

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:38 pm

SimLab wrote:You should be able to do much better, What a dull render :o

Send me the model

It was an experiment. ;)

You are welcome. I'm curious.... Metal(glossy) object painted with matte(not glossy) paint.

bolt_textured.zip
(8.78 MiB) Downloaded 64 times

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:09 pm

Here is my first trial, and I am sure I am no an artist (not proud but sure)

output1.png

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:21 pm

SimLab wrote:Here is my first trial, and I am sure I am no an artist (not proud but sure)

;) I assumed that you will use one of reflective materials(metal, plastic or same). But I said you specifically that the metallic object painted with matte paint. See my pictures above. The original Coat's rendering(first image) I find very good.

To do this, render needs to have the support of glossy maps.

3D Сoat is a fantastic texturing software. It can create a lot of different maps. Not all renderers can maintain it all. But specular map is a basic element of all known to me the render software. Unfortunately, SL is not so.

I understand it so that I should not expect specular map(or same) support in the next release. :?:

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:34 pm

I really can not promise speculator map in the next release.

What I can promise is that we are working extremely hard on something AMAZING and we will start sharing soon.

The tenderer will still get great improvements.

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:15 pm

SimLab wrote:I really can not promise speculator map in the next release.

What I can promise is that we are working extremely hard on something AMAZING and we will start sharing soon.

The tenderer will still get great improvements.

I look forward to it with anticipation.

I recommend SimLab on the forums where I am registered. It's not much, but I'm trying bit to help you too. :)

Return to “Discussions”