Lights.. How do they really work...

Discuss any 3D\CG topic that you might find related to Simlab products
Tessla

Re: Lights.. How do they really work...

Postby Tessla » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:27 am

Hi.. Well yes.. That fixed the noise issue. But as you said, it took a long time to render and the image is not that big.. I will have to reduce that setting to find the optimal setting to reduce the time..

I wish there was some kind of estimated time for rendering indicator.. At the moment its all a bit of a guess.

Using Bryce 3D there is an option to draw a small area that provides the end render.. Its a great way to see if the settings are OK.. I think this features has been asked for..

Thank you for your help..

Destiny...
Attachments
SimLab.jpg

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:31 am

What value do you think I should set the Light and Spectacular Depths.. I will render a bigger image but what I am now looking at is the sharpens of the image. At the moment, the noise is gone but the edges are a bit fluffy..

Destiny..
Attachments
RenderSettings-1.jpg

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:40 am

Hey there..

Using Photoshop, I increased the exposure by +2 and again at -2. EVs.. I then used Photmatix to Fuse the images using Tone-mapping HDR... I also added Sharpening..

This is the result.... There is a bit more depth to the image with better lighting.. I wonder if Simlab has thought about HDR rendering..

I am now going to play with the materials to add some reflective values.. That might spark the image up a bit...

Destiny...
Attachments
SimLab_1_2_Soft 3.jpg

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:36 pm

I doubled the size of the image but half the SPP setting but the images is taking for ever to render.. I really do not know if its working or looped and not working.. That is why its really needs some kind of estimated rendering time.. If its going to take hours, the settings could be changed to reduce the time...... I will leave it for a while longer before cancelling out..

Destiny...

chrisd

Postby chrisd » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:55 pm

I don't fully understand the Rendering Mode options yet. The samples per pixel seems to be common to unbiased renderers and that's the first thing I know to increase when there is noise.

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:37 pm

Cool rendering, Destiny!

To reduce the waiting time, I came up with a stupid idea. I rendered the room without a roof and then only ceiling. Tehen I glued it with photoshop. I used Fast path tracing and room HDR env. I did it about 10 min. If I set another direction of lighting for the ceiling, the result would be better. Of course still need to draw shadows on the walls and ceiling junction etc. It was quick result but in principle, for those who can work with Photoshop it is no problem.

s1.jpg

As for light and specular depth settings, I'm not sure that it works at all. I did not see the difference between 3 and 50.

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:56 pm

To be honest, I am so surprised at the rendering time, it can take a very long time. The issues is, I do not know what the optimal settings should be so I have to keep testing.. But, not every 3D scene I do would require the same settings..

I will forget about using the light and specular depth settings for now. But as soon as I make the image 2000 pixel, the time slows right down.. I will reduce the SPP and give each test about 15 minutes.. If it passes that, I stop and reduce.. Keep reducing until the render time is down and then check the noise issue..

Destiny...

Tessla

Postby Tessla » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:23 am

OK.. This is 2000px... I need that at least for a Virtual Tour.. There needs to be some zooming..

This image is quite nice, I am please with it, I sharpened it in Photoshop. There is still a little noise in the image.. I love beautiful images so I am now trying maximum SPP settings... At least I am getting somewhere with the rendering of interiors now.. Rendering interiors is not so easy..

This next image will probably take several hours to process.. So I will just leave it.. I need to play with the textures, to give some depth to the colours. I will also add some lights to the 3D light objects to give some realism to the render..

I wonder how long a pano image might take to render. The camera will need to be placed in the centre of the desk perhaps.. and another at the edge of the classroom so I can add hotspots to move to different locations... Then try to make object interactive.. But, even if I can create a WebGL object, WebGL is very limited and the rendering quality is not so nice in many ways.. It would be awesome if a Tablet could be taken from the desk, where video could be placed onto it. Do not think there is any options to do that, using third party software.. I will post this next image up after its rendered..

Destiny..
Attachments
Classroom1.jpg

Return to “Discussions”