Lights.. How do they really work...

Discuss any 3D\CG topic that you might find related to Simlab products
Destiny

Lights.. How do they really work...

Postby Destiny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:07 am

Hi.. I am very confused with lights.. I have a 3D scene.. I add lights but when I Real Time Render it remains dark... You can see with the attached images that the light is blown high bight, yet in Real Time Render its still dark.. Why is that.. I have tried different lights but this one seems to provide the best lighting but now in this case..... I am a bit confused as to the only feature in the dark scene. I have set a camera as my view and wonder if its actually Real Time Rendering m light scene..

Destiny...
Attachments
Lights2.jpg
Lights1.jpg

Destiny

Re: Lights.. How do they really work...

Postby Destiny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:18 am

Here is a snap shot of my fixed camera view.. You can see the light and how much the scene is light up.... Yet when i render it, its black... Very confusing..

Destiny...
Attachments
SimLab.jpg
Light3.jpg

Destiny

Postby Destiny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:39 am

I put the lights up to max and same with the Environment to high.. Almost white light.. Yet it still renders black.. Perhaps Environments and Lightning does not work within an enclosed 3D Space..

Destiny...
Attachments
Light5.jpg

chrisd

Postby chrisd » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:34 pm

Do you have other types of lights besides Directional or HDR?

If not, try adding a Point or Spot light in the interior. Because the Directional or HDR light is at an infinite distance, I suspect the room is shadowing or blocking those sources.

Destiny

Postby Destiny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi.. I have tried all the lights but the only one that provides some light is the Point, which is ok for a light bulb and the Area light but that can render as a greyed out area within the scene.. But not all of them. I have 3 here, but only one is greyed out. I have them on full power so not sure how many I need to make the room light.. Seem odd I need so many...

Destiny..
Attachments
Iight6.jpg

Destiny

Postby Destiny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:23 pm

Well, I am getting somewhere with lighting now.. I used the Area light and it lights up the Classroom area but.. The actual light is an object and renders grey.. So the features on the ceiling are just greyed out.... Is it posible to make the Area light invisible to rendering...

Destiny...
Attachments
SimLab.jpg

Destiny

Postby Destiny » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:47 am

I added 8 lights, 4 Point and 4 IES... Still not as I want it.. One thing I have noticed with rendering a 3D scene, for some reason there is heaps and heaps of noise in the rendering.. I really hate that.. How can noise be removed.??? You can see it at the back of the chairs. Very very grainy image.. Adding lighting to an enclosed objet is a real challenge.. But at least the big greyed out area is not in these lights. I need to set up the lighting correctly so I have a nice 3D Space in readiness to capture a 3D VR Image of a classroom.. :D

Destiny....
Attachments
SimLab.jpg

Destiny

Postby Destiny » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:54 am

I removed the ceiling and the lighting is now easy using the Environments.. So, its the enclosed area which is the issue.. Really really hard to get nice... But even with the ceiling removed, there is still far too much noise in the rendering.. No idea why that should be.. I changed the material to Simlab Composer materials on the chairs and table tops and back wall but it makes little difference.

You can get the model from here.. They have done a nice job of the rendering so it has to be possible..
https://grabcad.com/library/modern-furn ... lassroom-1

No easy.... :? :roll:

Destiny..
Attachments
SimLab.jpg

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:03 pm

I'm not an expert in architectural visualization. But I saw that model has windows.
1. Light the windows from outside(in my case 2 plane with emmiter material).
2. Hang a couple of bulbs inside(emmitrs or IES).

ar2.jpg

2. Use the architectural rendering mode. HDRi is not necessary. Try it. I think that everything works out.

ar1.jpg

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 pm

One more interesting feature"New Portal" for sun lighting. I just tried it the first time. It works too.

sun1.jpg

sun2.jpg

Return to “Discussions”