Tutorials and Beginners thread

Discuss any 3D\CG topic that you might find related to Simlab products
neilr

Tutorials and Beginners thread

Postby neilr » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:52 pm

I would like to see a dedicated tutorials and/or beginners section in the forums to help encourage new users to ask for things/info. I for one would make some tuts and enjoy answering basic questions. Also it could be a new area or at least a sticky thread in the composer and animator areas to keep them in a centralized place and not mixed with all the other stuff. Just a thought.

SimLab

Re: Tutorials and Beginners thread

Postby SimLab » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:16 pm

Great idea,

I will make sure to have something for this as soon as 2015 is released.

Liviu

Postby Liviu » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:23 pm

Hi. I'm newbie on this forum so I apologize if I make a mistake. I have a problem and I can handle. Fail to make a PDF with Multi Action. Can someone help me to tell me where I'm wrong? I enclose a small movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY1EbfB ... _list_user

Thanks

Redfive

Postby Redfive » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:45 am

Did this thread ever materialize?

If it did would it be relevant to Version 7?

Just purchased and am finding this incredibly obtuse and the tutorials I can find don't seem to start at a beginner level or are very sparse on details.

Is there any documentation available?

Thanks, please advise.

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:00 am

Can you please let us know what you are trying to achieve, that you do not get tutorials for, we can either point you to some resources or we can create the needed tutorials.

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:51 pm

SimLab created an extensive library of tutorial videos. The problem is that they consider only general topics with a comfortable material. Very often the real work goes far beyond the learn material.
At this point, can help a detailed documentation. Unfortunately the SimLab's help system is very weak and partially outdated(for example this: http://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-products/ ... render.pdf). For new users SL becomes an impassable forest. In addition to the names of UI and functions would be great to have a more detailed description of the settings etc. with search system.

I use some programs for many years, but until now sometimes I use help files and often find something new.
I believe that the forum is the last resort, when the problem is not solvable. Not everyone has time for long-term experiments and forum topics.

Redfive

Postby Redfive » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:01 am

Yes, I agree completely with the post above.

The tutorials on the site seem very 'macro' or high level in perspective as in they do not drill down to enough detail.

Basically, I've paid for the program but I'm not using because I don't feel like slogging through trial and error to figure out how it works.

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:53 pm

I have to agree, SimLab Composer is filled with many features that users are not aware of, and having a great feature that is not accessible to the user is like not having it, at all.

I would love to have this suggestion moving.

So please Guide us where do you want us to start?
What is the main group of tutorials you are looking for?

Ashraf

Redfive

Postby Redfive » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:48 am

Well, that is difficult for me to say because I don't know what I don't know if you take my meaning.

You might create a tutorial that has the user import or create a shape and step by step begin to apply the different features available.

I'm not sure what to say beyond that without giving it more thought.

Does the program have any documentation?

hornpipe

Postby hornpipe » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:27 pm

I think it would be nice to have a detailed overview of the following things:

1. Creation and management of the scene:
custom libraries, custom cameras, scene states etc...

2. Lighting:
overview of all types of SL lighting(navigation, usage, settings).

3. Rendering:
A detailed description of all options and ways of use. Fast & MIS path, interior & element renderer, max deth etc...

4. Custom materials:
all types, UV mapping etc.

With real 3d models. Maybe different types(architectural, product etc...) Not cube please. :)

And please actualized online version of the material documentation.

Return to “Discussions”