Page Size

Discuss Simlab 3D Plugins developed for McNeel's Rhino 3D
Takenforgranted

Page Size

Postby Takenforgranted » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:23 pm

What are the units for the 'page size' settings?

Ihab

Re: Page Size

Postby Ihab » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:09 am

Hi,

The unit is 'pixel', however, I agree this is kind of misleading in PDF. What happens is that the page is directly zoomed-to-fit once the page is opened, so you lose your settings, and what remains is the aspect ratio of your page.

although we could overwrite the default behaviour of zoom-to-fit, we found it to be suitable as the user usually doesnt know the screen size settings of the recepient of the file, nor the PPI settings of his PDF reader.

Thanks,
Ihab

Takenforgranted

Postby Takenforgranted » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:45 am

So what effect, if any, will adjusting the 'pixels' setting have, other than changing the aspect ratio of the 3D PDF image? If the margin/border settings in the file preferences are set otherwise, is there not a chance of having these two 'fight' each other for page space?

It seems a very 'vague' way of setting up the PDF. Could you post a couple of screen grabs to help explain the effects of changing this setting in more detail please?

Ihab

Postby Ihab » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:06 pm

Takenforgranted wrote:So what effect, if any, will adjusting the 'pixels' setting have, other than changing the aspect ratio of the 3D PDF image?

the viewer of the file might choose to view your PDF at 100% zoom level, which means your dimensions will take effect. Also, this helps you design your PDF page layout as I will show you next.

Takenforgranted wrote:If the margin/border settings in the file preferences are set otherwise, is there not a chance of having these two 'fight' each other for page space?

the user splits the whole PDF page area according to his desired layout, you can think of it this way:
total PDF page size = 3D area + margins around the 3D viewing area. in this equation we gave the user the ability to determine the total PDF page size and the margins, so that 3D area can be calculated.

Takenforgranted wrote:It seems a very 'vague' way of setting up the PDF. Could you post a couple of screen grabs to help explain the effects of changing this setting in more detail please?

Please click here to view an illustration. We are open to any suggestion to make this clearer, we want to give the user full control over the created PDF.

Takenforgranted

Postby Takenforgranted » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:21 am

OK. Thanks for the clarification. Your approach makes sense as it gives good control over the viewing 'window' relative to the model. My only reservation is that there is no simple way of maintaining standard 'paper space' proportions (A4, A3, Letter, etc) if the user wants it that way.

Ihab

Postby Ihab » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Takenforgranted wrote:My only reservation is that there is no simple way of maintaining standard 'paper space' proportions.

Just to understand your reservation, do you mean you prefer to have these presets available as options to the user? and do you want them as 'page size' or '3d area size' ?

Takenforgranted

Postby Takenforgranted » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:04 am

When it comes to setting up a 'frame' for an image, as I see things there are two ways to do it; a) set proportions of the frame to suit the image content, or b) make the proportions fit the 'paper' space (i.e. the notional size of the printed document that you're creating). In this case, it's the proportions of the page height/width that matter more than the actual dimensions.

a) and b) often conflict - how many times have you tried to frame an image to take a real photo, only to find that you can't get everything in without including something else that you don't really want to show?

With a 3D PDF it seems to me that things are a bit different. Scenario a) doesn't rigidly apply because the subjects' proportions can be changed by zooming/rotating etc, so there is going to be no 'that's perfect' answer (though I accept that if you are trying to show something like a train or a long building, the image frame can be tailored to suit).

So in many cases b) can take precedence. However the current setting pages for borders and image size make this an iterative process, or at least entail the use of a calculator to work out 'best fit' for a standard paper size. I need to bear in mind for my type of work that the people I send these PDFs to may well want to capture a certain view of their choice as a hard copy, so an option to set things to nicely fit A4 paper etc would be nice. Maybe something like Word where the settings tabs show an A4 page (for example) with margins that can be dragged to the desired position to create the 3D 'window'?

Ihab

Postby Ihab » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks for the explanation. We'll see how we can utilize this idea within PDF.

Return to “Rhino 3D Plugins”