What do you want to see in the next update

Discuss Simlab 3D Plugins developed for McNeel's Rhino 3D
SimLab

What do you want to see in the next update

Postby SimLab » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:29 pm

We are working on updating SimLab 3D PDF from Rhino and we want to know what features you are looking to see in the next update.

Thanks for users who already submitted their requests, we are looking forward to learn more what features do you need to make the best of the plugins :)

Takenforgranted

Re: What do you want to see in the next update

Postby Takenforgranted » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:43 am

First of all, something that isn't an intrinsic part of the software - a clear Simlab explanation/product differentiation matrix for the 3D PDF for Rhino versus Composer c/w Rhino plugin, explaining why you would chose one product over the other. I posted on this subject about a year ago, but there's still not much available to clarify things. Since then, things have moved on (for Composer, at least) so the situation may have changed.

Once that is clear to users, it will be easier to make requests that are targeted at one or other product. I have both, but I'm still not sure which is best to use for generating 3D PDFs from within Rhino. In many ways, I wish there was just a single offering (Composer, with the Rhino plugin) - then there would be no cause for confusion :)

In the meantime, I'd like to make the following requests:

1, Improved text and dimension support as outlined in my earlier thread. The current facility to save text and dimensions is a great feature.

2, A facility to use meshing settings for PDF generation other than those set in the Rhino file. When working on a model in Rhino I often have dense mesh settings to ensure surface representation is well controlled. When I need to save out a PDF, I'm more interested in sending a 'sketch' to a colleague, so compact file size & ease of viewing on low power laptops etc takes precedence over ultimate image quality. Switching the mesh settings back and forth in Rhino is a pain, especially as mapped textures get messed up every time a change is made.

3, Depiction of environment mapped materials that more closely matches what one sees in Rhino, in the PDF.

4, More controls to set up how the PDF opens (menus, model tree, buttons, etc). A cleaned UI for the Simlab options tabs would also be good; clustering of the options seems a little illogical at the moment.

5, A 'help' page in the PDF that outlines the controls to use for navigating a 3D PDF. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to email or phone the recipient to explain this :shock: , because they are new to 3D PDF. Two minutes of frustration on the new users part in this respect is enough to put many of them off using the format - for life :(

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:45 pm

We truly appreciate the great feedback, development will look at each of those requests hoping to add it to the next release of the plugin.

I understand your question about the difference between SimLab Composer and the Rhino plugin.

The plugin functionality is a subset of SimLab Composer 3D PDF edition.
All the features available in the plugin are available in SimLab Composer.
SimLab Composer also has the Rhino integration plugin, which transfers the geometry in the same way as the plugin.

So if the user can afford learning SimLab Composer, which is not difficult, then she/he should go with SimLab Composer.

We are keeping the plugin as we have a good number of users, who are happy, and very productive in Rhino, so they prefer to be able to finish the task from inside Rhino.

Takenforgranted

Postby Takenforgranted » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Another wish for the Rhino plugin (and Composer too, in the Rhino environment):

Export/save selected objects only to PDF. This would save a lot of time with switching off layers and hiding unwanted objects before saving out a PDF.

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:24 pm

We were asked for this before.

I will make sure to have this included in next version of Composer.
We will think how to implement this in the plugin.

Ashraf

Mustafa

Postby Mustafa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi there

is the post still open ?

SimLab

Postby SimLab » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:08 am

We will update the plugin, after releasing SimLab Composer 8.

So sure if you have requests, please let us know.

Return to “Rhino 3D Plugins”