Linking objects for animation?

Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
Larz2

Linking objects for animation?

Post by Larz2 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:16 pm

How do I link two (or more) objects so that they follow the same animation with the same pivot?
Example: A door with a door handle. The door is opened and the door handle must follow the door's movement.

This problem is especially important when importing an existing file with many objects.

I have tried to change the relationship between the objects with 'Change Parent' but get the error message 'The Restructuring you are trying is invalid'.

How do I do this?

Best regards,
Lars

Larz2

Re: Linking objects for animation?

Post by Larz2 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:44 pm

Am I the only one who has this problem: animating several objects with same pivot point??? :shock:
See my first post for more info.

Please advise me how to do this - thanks!

Best regards,
Lars

Pocc

Post by Pocc » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi Larz2,

Yes you're quite right it is by moving the 'handle' to have the 'door' as the parent that they will move together when the top level door assembly is pivoted around the hinge that they will move as one.

If you're having trouble dragging - try creating a new parent and then dragging the door into that as a level and then the handle into the same level of assembly.

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:19 pm

The error you are getting is when you try to put the part into itself.. Best thing to do is, click on the part/s, then right mouse, goto Change Parent then click on the main door part being the parent.. Then reset the pivot of that entire parent to the corner or the door or centre of the hinge pin...

Tesselaar..

Larz2

Post by Larz2 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:48 am

Thank you Pocc for your suggestion. I will try to make a 'dummy object' to control the animation.
-
Thank you Tesselaar for your reply, I tried to change parent, but got the mentioned error message - but I will try again.

Best regards,
Lars