Not 360...

Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
Tessla

Not 360...

Post by Tessla » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:36 am

Hi Simlab. What could we be doing wrong.. We created a dome so we can add sky and ground with a Point Light .. The texture is seamless.. We blurred the bottom of the texture to blend out the horizon. It should all work, however the render, using a VR camera, set at 100X500 output, does not seem to have rendered correctly.. Not sure what we might have done wrong... You can see in the screen shots that the texture is 360 seamless.. We offset the rendered image. Not even the Zenith is right.. It looks horrible..

Tesselaar..
Attachments
NOTSL.jpg
domeVR.jpg
SimLab.jpg

Tessla

Re: Not 360...

Post by Tessla » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:38 am

If we do a Live Preview Render from under the dome using the normal camera view, it looks OK.. So the issue must be the VR camera..

Tesselaar..
Attachments
Live.jpg

Pocc

Post by Pocc » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:03 pm

Hi Tesslar - I haven't got V10 anymore, but I do seem to remember seeing a 'scale' slider in V10 for the HDR's somewhere, I think if you dragged this out and expanded your sphere diameter it would flatten the curves you're getting. Seem to remember that this sorted my self shot HDR's and was a feature I was glad to see added. Let me know if I was dreaming or if I did see this in V10 :)

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:32 pm

Hi Pocc.. Good info.. It worked.. :D Strange that I have rendered 360 in the past, last week and it was fine.. Perhaps the latest version of V10 does not have the slider over... Not really sure.. Not to worry, the horizon is level and the ends are seamless. Now I have a VR environment template of sorts.. Where we can just change the sky and ground textures as well as the light values. Look at the crazy desktop view from the VR Camera, but the camera render is very different..

Thanks for you input..

Tesselaar..
Attachments
Zoom-1.jpg
SimLab_Camera-3.jpg
SimLab_Camera-2.jpg

Pocc

Post by Pocc » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:44 am

Think it's the height of the VR camera in a 'small' HDR world - a bit like flying at 60,000ft - you start to see the curvature of the Earth, fly at 60,000ft over the moon and it will just about appear as a ball.

Most of my HDR's are shot on a tripod at about 1200mm high and this was a problem with Composer up to V9 with it's 'set' HDR sphere size as I couldn't flatten or scale the HDR world. In a lot of other software you can 'shift' the horizon to compensate for not shooting at ground level. When I had V10 Beta I noticed this new feature and it let me use my HDR's for renders rather than the HDR and backplates.

I can't say I've seen anything on this new feature in any of the V10 tutorials or release notes by Simlab - guess they forgot to mention it ;)

Can you just post a screen shot of where that slider was again - just to satisfy my curiosity for if I do upgrade at some point :)

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:26 pm

We dabble in HDR VR Photography .. We normally capture about 7 espousers, but the camera will only only do 5 so we use a VR Drive, which is a robotic pano head.. Then we fuse the images to make a HDR photos. I have a D800 and use a 14-24mm lens. But since the VR software we use is not supported anymore, we stopped making them.. Pano Tour Pro (PTP) was great...

Here is the slider in the screen shot.. I put the slider over to max which is 179..

Tesselaar..
Attachments
SL-GUI.jpg

Pocc

Post by Pocc » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:31 pm

I know you're primarily MAC tesselar - but Microsoft ICE (Image Composite Editor) will stitch together images nicely for a full sphere readily and does a good job of it, all you need is a tripod. Little JPG sample attached - just done with a cheapy camera. The full HDR obviously is taken with different f stops and merged into the HDR using easyHDR.
Attachments
Thistle Rose inside.jpg

Tessla

Post by Tessla » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:26 am

Yes, we have tested out many stitching software.. However, after images have be fused, using 7 exposers, they lose their data, so we use xml code to assist in stitching, which most software cannot use. If you do not capture bracketed EV's, lights like in your attached pano will have over expose areas.. Same with white light from windows.. You can see what I mean in our pano images..

Tesselaar..
Attachments
Final-Front-Pano.jpg
Final-Back-Pano.jpg

Pocc

Post by Pocc » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:42 am

Fully understand Tessalar - I bracket -2ev to +2ev and then create 5 JPG's like the one above (it's 0ev so hence still had the blown out skylights), I use the 5 JPG's to create the single HDR - usually at around 8000x4000 pixels. 5 stop bracketing and this size is enough for me as I don't need the full dynamic range for the renders I make as they're almost all exterior shots of vehicles. Keep having fun :)