Problems with texture baking

Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
RichardPMuller

Problems with texture baking

Post by RichardPMuller » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:01 pm

Hello I need some help with my model. I asked support but they will not help with this kind of questions and asked me to put it in the forum. When I do some texture baking in my model the materials turn into gray. WhI askedat is going wrong? I hope someone will help me. Download link model and screen captures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ww0sm02rhrfs ... nLGba?dl=0

My questions I asked:

1. When I am launching Simlab Composer (I have the VR edition, last version 10v10.18VR) the tekst and icons (recent projects) are very small on my UHR monitor 3840x2160 200% (Windows 10). Maybe an idea to make dialog boxes/screens resizable or/and make an option for larger icons/tekst in the preferences menu. - THEY WILL SOLVE THIS

2. The Translate 3D / Snap object / copy / …. Menu is way to small, I can’t hardly read or click on it. - THEY WILL SOLVE THIS

3. I like the VR Effects / Media. I tried to make a realistic showerhead (movie-file). To do that I made a water jet in every hole. Maybe to much, but the effect is great but Oculus Quest can not handle this. Maybe an idea to change this effect. For example to activate the shower head and get a realistic shower with several jets. In the menu you can change the amound of jets, the size, the strenght, etc. Is it possible to make something similar for a water tap? NOT SOLVED

4. I noticed that it is possible to add sounds tot he VR scene, but there are no sound files in the library (or missed I something?). Maybe nice to attache sounds tot the VR effects. THEY THINK IT IS A GOOD IDEA

5. When I use the option Real_time Render (F4) the materials seems to be okay. But when I see the same model in VR (desktop and Oculus Quest) the materials don’t look good. I think it needs texture baking. BTW when I send a model to VR in other software like Twinmotion I don’t have to change materials … NOT SOLVED

6. When I do some texture baking on some materials (like the toilet, material NewMTL>Ceramic>General>White Ceramic) the materials turns into gray …? What is going wrong here? NOT SOLVED

7. I want to create a long LED strip, I don’t no if this is the right wat, but when I click on the strip in the model and make it a emitter Simlab is crashing. And a area light is not giving the effect I want. NOT SOLVED

8. Years ago I saw a tutorial how to turn lights on and off by clicking on a switch in VR. I cannot find this anymore, is this still possible with the VR edition? SOLVED

Best Regards, Richard

SimLab

Re: Problems with texture baking

Post by SimLab » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:39 am

Currently effects do not include water tab, unlike effects with properties, I think water tab includes an element not in those effects, which is it starts close to fosset then it goes down, this effect is for a very short amount of time, after that it is basically a cylinder of material with Alpha.
unless you want to make some texture animation to make it more realistic.

So I think for most cases it can be done with scene state (Hide/Show)

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:41 am

regarding material appearance that look the same, do you run them on Quest with other application?

Quest is still a portable device and it does not have all the power of a PC.
If it is done without texture baking and looks the same on quest I will ask developers to check more.

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:42 am

For gray material in texture baking you are sure you did not set rendering mode to Clay?
So rendering works fine but not baking?

RichardPMuller

Post by RichardPMuller » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:44 am

Thanks for that, my biggest problem is that materials turns gray with texture baking in VR. I hope that someone can take a look at my model and find a solution.

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:53 pm

I looked at the model it is of type sim.

Can you save it as archive (*.zim)
sim file references textures on your drive so I can not find them.
zim includes all needed textures to the file opens correctly.

RichardPMuller

Post by RichardPMuller » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:57 pm

Thanks, I saved the file as a .zim (see Dropbox-link). It's not clay-rendering but when I select a part, for example the toilet seat, and do some texture baking it turns into a cray color right away on my screen and also in VR mode desktop. Without texture baking the colors in VR (desktop and Oculus Quest) are not as good like normal rendering. Maybe I do something wrong, but I can't figure it out. And there are not a lot of people in The Netherlands who are using this software.

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:23 pm

Texture baking runs rendering and generate image as texture.

The scene is closed, so my suggestion for baking
1- hide the ceiling
2- Increase power of HDR

if baking is still dark from render setting click on Image effects and increase brightness up to 4 and do baking

The rendering techniques used rendering is different from one used to in rendering in composer, the VR needs to achieve real time speed, so it is very different.

RichardPMuller

Post by RichardPMuller » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:36 pm

Hello, thanks for you answers so late in the evening ;-) Good news there is nothing wrong with my model (or a bug in the software). I will try your suggestions, play around with it and hope for better rendering results. I think hiding the ceiling is not a good idea because a bathroom without a ceiling looks strange. Kind regards, Richard

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:41 pm

You can hide the ceiling while baking, then you can return it.