Possibility to teleport from one VR package to another?

Discuss Simlab Composer released by Simlab Soft
A-factory

Possibility to teleport from one VR package to another?

Post by A-factory » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:43 am

Hello,
I am trying to make my file less heavy for VR, I was wondering if there`s an option in builder to load a new VR package scene/or Teleport to a new package that is separated from the original model.

SimLab

Re: Possibility to teleport from one VR package to another?

Post by SimLab » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:39 am

You can add the action load scene and import scene.

This is shown in the following image

You can either use package local on same machine (full path)
or host them in a webserver and use URL
load-scene.png

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:46 pm

We had the same Idea and tried the mentioned actions and while it works in a way, it can be messy:
If you use "load scene" you will be teleported to the Viewer Start position of said scene. This may work well in many cases. We wanted to use it to go from room to room (in a building with very many rooms) and basicly load a scene that includes the next room when you trigger the door node. Since you change your position as soon as you trigger it, it feels messy. A function that would allow to define parts of the Nodetree that can be loaded into or erased from the VR runtime by triggering a node or entering an area would be appreciated :)
"Import Model" lets you position a Model freely in the existing surrounding, which can be interesting, but not very useful in this case.

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:38 pm

I see, the problem is that the usage of load scene is to load a new scene and we want to make sure user starts in a good position in the new scene, so that is why load scene sets the start position of the user.

Load scene is not an instant action so my personal guess small teleport specially putting the user on the start of the room is not very bad.

How large is the model and why all this is needed?

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:12 am

Our model consisting of several rooms has around 1,4 GB without the use of hd textures. This is not working well, performance-wise. The tendency is towards even larger models in the future, so that the user can move freely in a larger Building, not just one room. For that it would be nice if one could load the file only partly to improve performance (like fog of war in games).

A simpler solution may be to smooth the transition when loading a new scene with the 'load scene' command. Right now it feels like I am teleported to another point, which is very sudden and therefore irritating. I think it would be beneficial in terms of continuity in the VR experience to add a transition via some sort of fade out - fade in effect. The user will still be aware that something is happening and the experience will be interrupted, but I think it would be less irritating.