Wishes and bug fixes

Share any feature you'd like to see in composer coming releases
Alex

Wishes and bug fixes

Post by Alex » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:01 am

Hello Simlab,

thank you hearing us for some feedback. :)

1. In the past I had the wish to extend the dropdown list for standard resolutions like 3840 (4K).
Times change so i would be happy, if 8K (7680x4320) could be added to the drop down list.

2. Maybe it is possible to save some settings like "show rendering area" (in preview). I wish it could be saved and on the next start it is still enabled.

3. From time to time, the name of the materials disappear in the material list. Changing the icon size back and forth makes the name appear again.

4. I am a german user, so using a texture containing the letters ä, 'ö, ü or ß in its name or file path makes simlab not recognizing the texture.

5. Sometimes changing a material to a light emitting one in rendering mode crashes simlab composer. So I only apply a light emitting material using the preview mode.

6. What is the standard height of the VR Player model? For me it seems that the standard height is a bit to big like 2m. So I constantly scale it down to 80-90% which is more common in central europe.

7. Sometimes when I render objects with 3-4 light emitting materials, the shadow on the floor is applied only on the last SPPs rendered. So it is sometimes difficult to guess the right value and correct it. Sometimes it even lacks the shadow completely thus I have selected it. This is only when some objects in the scene have a light emitting material.

Thank you very much! :)

Pocc

Re: Wishes and bug fixes

Post by Pocc » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:23 am

Good summation of most of the bugs I encounter daily here by Alex, so I'll add myself as a +1 to this post :)

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:14 am

Will surly take those in consideration in the next update, thanks for the feedback.

Ashraf

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:55 pm

Thank you ashraf :)

Here I have some other ideas:

Maybe a small bug?: Somehow simlab composer does not save the dispersion value for a glas object. It is resetted to 0,5. But 0,02 is enough for my project :)

Ambient light Settings
I like simlab for its possibilities to edit the light from different settings (overall brightness, gamma, brightness of the hdri itself). But somehow I do not manage to get good results using only the sun.

Using HDRI only it looks always good
test lightscene4671.jpg
Using HDRI (brightness 2,2)
Gamma 0,8
Brightness 5,0
Using the sun I have my problems. The image always looks to bright (sun over 30° height) or to blue (impact of the sky bigger than 0,1. No matter if I change the overall scene brightess to 1 and gamma to 0,5.
test lightscene4675.jpg
Using only Sun (sky 0,1 & sun 0,1)
Gamma 0,8
Brightness 5,0

When I drop the 'noon' or 'before noon' settings into the scene, the light looks more natural, but the settings of the sun /sky (height / rotation degree) don't change. Maybe you have an idea?
test lightscene4682.jpg
Same settings but dropped before noon settings from the menu
Slider and Value scale dimension
But in general, I think you could adjust the slider settings. Regarding the brightness of the sun /sky i modify somewhere between 0,1 and 1 and not 10 - what is the use for having a slider going to such high values? Maybe there are other usecases different to mine.

Another thing regarding values / scale:
The slider/ settings on the lens depth to get a good bokeh I regular use a value of 0,03 to 0,05. I ask myseld why not increase the scale so you can more easily modify the value (single digit) instead of typing small values like 0,0X ? :)
Lens radius.PNG
Lens radius.PNG (9.48 KiB) Viewed 175 times
Gumball non uniform scaling for geometry
First, thank you very much for improving the gumball and make it more present compared to simlab 8!
I like the quick acces to the gumball very much. But maybe you could ad a simple handle at the end of the axis for non-uniform scaling like Rhino does? :)
Scaling geometry.PNG

Edit: Version used Simlab 9.2.11 VR