Feature lost when transferring models from rhino to simlab

SimLab plugins for 3D / CAD applications
Carl J

Feature lost when transferring models from rhino to simlab

Post by Carl J » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:58 am

When I was trying to transfer a model from rhino to simlab, there are features lost after completion of the process. Some of my plants lost color, the wood lost its texture, and bookcover disappears as well. However, when I opened the file directly by simlab, some of the lost features reappeared, while those originally functioned disappeared. For example, my flowers got color again, while some plants lost color at the same time.

Does anyone know how to save the situation? How to maintain all the features when transferring models from rhino to simlab?

Alex

Re: Feature lost when transferring models from rhino to simlab

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:49 am

Hello Carl,

I am also using Rhino and the SimlabComposer Plugin with Simlab v10.18 VR.

To my knowledge, there are some bugs, but most of them i can circumvent.

1.) Objects which are separated by different layers, but carry the same layername are stuck together. You cannot easily hide / unhide them in simlab
2.) From time to time there is a problem with textures. Switch from jpg to png helps.

But the plugin is faster than importing the file as an import into simlab. The plugin makes use of the polygonmesh already displayed in Rhino. :D

Carl J

Post by Carl J » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:08 pm

Hi, Alex,

Thank you so much for your reply!

I haven't met the first situation before, but I will keep your solution in my notebook.

While for the second suggestion you gave, I want to further confirm what the images you are talking about, to change the type of file to .png? Are they the images for the textures in simlab? Or are they the images for textures in Rhino? Do you know how to change them? While I have the material lab for the textures, I don't know how to change the pictures.

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:37 pm

Oh I never used a rhino owned material which then could be transfered to simlab.
When I buy textures, I only buy them as separate diffuse, normal etc.

In Rhino, I make a new material just containing the diffuse texture and maybe bump, then transfer the project to simlab. Inside composer, I select the path for each texture the related bump / roughness map. (there is still a bug, everymaterial type remembers the selected filepath except roughness :D ) This turned out to work quiet well and keeps the textures mostly within rhino and I have only to assign a few materials afterwards in simlab.

Regarding switching the texturefiletype from jpg to png is my workaround to one problem.
The original post ist here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11626 where the texture was turned 90°. Using the same picture as PNG worked :-)

Maybe you have a sample Rhinofile so I can check it myself? I use Rhino v7

Best regards!

Edit: @simlab why am I not able to attach some pictures within my reply? At the main forum, it works. Thank you :-)

Carl J

Post by Carl J » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:49 am

Hi, Alex,

Truly thank you for your offering of help!

I want to attach one of the material that has the most significant feature-loss characteristic when transferring to the simlab from Rhino, but I cannot find a way to attach it on the post here. How did you do that?

Also thank you for your reference of the relevant post of yours, it is similar to my situation. The problem is that I don't know where exactly should I go to change the file types.

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:34 am

It seems, attaching a file to a post is only possible in the main forum.
I uploaded my screenshots and a rhino testfile here https://we.tl/t-VmtebcdEwk
I know in 2 weeks this link is gone, and attaching keeps it for future problem seekers. But since it is not possible 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, sure i want to help :-) Simlab is small and fine company and therefore the userbase. You know, only 10% of the people reading on the internet are activly answering. So this forum is is quite quiet :mrgreen:

Best regards

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:12 pm

We are truly thank thankful for the help Alex, :mrgreen:

SimLab team is always working on the next think.
Many great things are in the oven

Carl J

Post by Carl J » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:03 am

Hi, Alex,

Thank you so much! I can see your point here, and I find the way to add the image to the texture and bump in simlab. Although my file is sketchup, I am trying to replace the original files in simlab.

You are very helpful!