SolidWorks Attributes Import

SimLab plugins for 3D / CAD applications
MME

SolidWorks Attributes Import

Post by MME » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:50 pm

Hi everyone,

In our company we are fairly new with SimLab,
I'm trying to import the attributes (Custom Properties in SolidWorks) of my SolidWorks Assemblies and Parts(I have at least 10 attributes per part and assemblies).

For the versions of our softwares:
We use the latest SimLab composer 10.20.
SolidWorks 2017 SP4 with SimLab Composer Integration 10.0 for SolidWorks

I want to use this feature so I can show the information in VR sessions like in this article :
https://vrforcad.com/objects-attributes ... b-composer

In the article it's said that SimLab can import attributes from a 3D model.
I tried for assemblies and parts with our company's Solidworks 2017 and a 2021 version to check but with neither of them we can import the attributes with the SimLab Composer Integration for SolidWorks or CADVRter.
Is there a way to import attributes automatically (preferably with your SimLab Composer Integration and with the update function in case of change in design, properties or animations) or CADVRter (but I've seen no options to export attributes) or do I have to type all of them ?

I know that the attributes support is fairly new so maybe it's coming soon in the importers.
Thanks for reading me.

SimLab

Re: SolidWorks Attributes Import

Post by SimLab » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:17 pm

Currently we read attributes from following files

DWF (covers Inventor, Revit, Navisworks)
SketchUp
Rhino
Parasolid and ACIS

We are working on adding support to SolidWorks, we 100% understand it makes it much easier without the need to enter all those attributes again.

You may try exporting models as Parasolid and try to import it.

MME

Post by MME » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:45 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the answer.
I tried Parasolid and ACIS but it seems that SolidWorks doesn't export the custom properties on these formats as well.
So I cannot see them on the exported files in Solidworks and inside SimLab as well.
I will wait for the next update of the Solidworks Importer or if SolidWorks have a new exporter with custom properties.
Thanks again.

SimLab

Post by SimLab » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:01 pm

SimLab team created a quick blog showing how to get attributes from SolidWorks , so you can use them in VR. This is using IFC until we support reading attributes directly from SoidWorks files.

I hope you find this useful